Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/)
-   -   Intake mod (Spectre Air Intake + Helix Power Tower) (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/intake-mod-spectre-air-intake-helix-power-tower-66600/)

ComputerNerdBD 01-03-2012 01:56 PM

Intake mod (Spectre Air Intake + Helix Power Tower)

4 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone. I have had a Spectre CAI for 2 years now and I am overall pretty happy with it. I took the Helix Power Tower off when I installed it since I stripped one of the studs on the engine (cheap studs that came with the Helix Power Tower) that holds the throttle body on and also because the metal intake tube did not bolt down properly because it was being raised an inch because of the throttle body spacer. I finally had an idea of how I could have both and I decided to try it even with those stripped studs. I pulled the intake plenum that came with the Spectre kit and replaced it with the OEM plenum with the flexible rubber tube (which also has the wire management holders to keep the wire harness away from the coolant hose and brake lines). I pulled the throttle body and found no shortage of carbon in the intake manifold and the studs came out with the nuts. I put the spacer back on and spent hours trying to make the studs fit even though they were stripped. I finally managed to cut the tops off the studs and put the nuts on with minimal force without stripping them and it seems to be holding (just). While I had the metal intake tube out, I also replaced the filter and the funny thing is I bought the wrong one (this one is 2" shorter, but fits better). I am posting photos.

So my questions are:

1. Where can I get 6mm threaded rod to make new studs? I already tried hardware stores, Lowe's, Home Depot, Autozone, Advance Auto and Tractor Supply and they either don't sell anything close to that or do, but don't sell metric.

2. I haven't really done any real experiments with highway gas mileage YET since my results for this particular tank would be contaminated with mountain driving and the use of Techron, but with both the spacer and CAI combined, what kind of improvements should I expect? It seems to be slightly better with pickup, but it seems to have been slower than before I changed the ATF (I changed the ATF before I did all this) and it shifts better in the process. Only other thing I could think of would be my hitch cargo rack, but that combined with the cargo is only about 75 pounds.

3. I dropped a nut somewhere and it didn't fall on the ground, but I could not find it even poking around with a flashlight (first time for me). Should I make an actual effort to look for it because it will cause a problem or should I not worry about it? EDIT: It DID NOT fall down the throttle body. It fell down in front of the engine and I heard it stop, but I could not find it. Probably gone by now.

4. Was buying the shorter filter a bad idea?

5. Would replacing my O2 sensors improve mileage more? The SES light isn't on and there are no codes for anything.

zr2dan 01-03-2012 09:56 PM

got a fastenal close buy they should be able to get all thread that size

ComputerNerdBD 01-04-2012 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by zr2dan (Post 486796)
got a fastenal close buy they should be able to get all thread that size

Thanks. I checked their site and they have threaded rods in M6, but which grade should I get? They have different types available at different locations. I saw Class 4.6 and 8.8. Which should I get? 8.8 is like $15 for a 1M rod and 4.6 is alot cheaper, but I don't want to get something that is going to strip just like the current one. I got boltcutters, so I can cut it longer than the studs that are already there so I can get nuts that are taller so there are no issues with strength. I just hope that the studs have softer metal than the intake manifold and that I didn't strip it. I didn't even put much force on it. Just with a small wrench.

zr2dan 01-04-2012 09:22 PM

u shouldnt need grade 8 bolts for a throttle body they are just a hardened steel im sure the grade 5 will do just fine

ComputerNerdBD 01-05-2012 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by zr2dan (Post 487085)
u shouldnt need grade 8 bolts for a throttle body they are just a hardened steel im sure the grade 5 will do just fine

I know, but what I ultimately get will depend on what the Fastenal location has on hand when I go there tomorrow. Some locations seem to have only 4.6, others have only 8.8. I also have to see if they are willing to cut them to size and if they have flange nuts so I can make it a neat install (It may be under the hood, but I still want it neat so I don't get screamed at by any mechanics I know who work on this truck).

swartlkk 01-05-2012 09:34 AM

Junk the spacer and use the stock bolts!

chris015 01-05-2012 10:31 AM

Yea. the spacer on this engine is pointless, The point of the spacer is to help mix fuel mixture etc before it enters the combustion chamber. If you had the tbi engine it would help as the mixture happens as soon as it exits the throttle body.

ComputerNerdBD 01-05-2012 01:53 PM

Ok. I will consider taking it off then, but I do notice a difference in acceleration and gas mileage.

By the way, what do I do about this carbon that is in there? Leave it there or is there a cleaner for it?

https://blazerforum.com/forum/attach...-42-52_744-jpg

chris015 01-05-2012 04:53 PM

You notice power from the filter,not the spacer. but ewwww at the carbon. best thing you could do is spray some aresol seafoam in there,let it sit for a while and run the engine. Carbon in that area isnt a big deal. if you had clumps of it that'd be a different story.