Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/)
-   -   Through Hood Air Intake?! :O (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/through-hood-air-intake-o-68622/)

BigEffingHammer 03-04-2012 03:20 AM

Through Hood Air Intake?! :O

Hey guys, another late night idea...

I want to make my aftermarket intake a legitimate cold air intake...
Would it be sensible to make it essentially go through the hood? Like, not just having it open to the elements, but doing something like this: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/wp-con...ar-mustang.jpg

Making a custom cowl-type thing (I'd assume some screens or something in there to stop random crap from getting in there) then somehow route the air to the cone air filter.

Sound reasonable?

I'd assume it wouldn't not be possible to change the angle on the air filter just as long as it is secured.(Probably would have to extend the bracing to the old air filter box mounts)

Although, I may have no idea what I want to be getting myself into...
If I make this hood scoop like too big and direct too much air flow into the filter that wouldn't cause any problems, right?
The intake can only take in as much air as it can. So trying to push more air then what's allowed through shouldn't be harmful, right? :O
And for the sake of water getting in there, if it's an open hole, the water would most likely be vaporized not causing any harm, and if it were through the filter, it would just mix with the fuel/air causing a minor decrease in power, right?

But then, also, the gigantic issue of will it work with a cone filter or will I have to get like a K&N flat rectangular filter and modify my stock air box to make this work? :O

Or or or or is this in the entirely wrong place because instead of running a hood scoop to my air intake should I just have an open hole (of course with a grille/screen) just to cool the engine?

What are your guys' thoughts on a scoop this size on a Blazer?
http://jordanmorningstarblog.files.w...0997.jpg?w=655

TheRandom1 03-04-2012 09:15 AM

First off, if you have the aftermarket intake and have sealed it from the engine bay then you have a legitimate cold air intake as it's not sucking air from the hot engine bay, but the cooler air ahead of the grill/headlight area. The designs you posted are called Ram Air. I'm sure you can get what it does from the name, but at speed, it's ramming air into the intake.

That all being said, a bit scoop like that would probably look pretty weird on a Blazer, or at least a 2nd gen one. Perhaps if you made a scoop like the WRX's had it wouldn't be TOO bad, but still...

To do something like that, you'd either want to get a FG hood, or weld the scoop on. (don't use one of those bolt on scoops, that's just awful) then you'd have to either route your whole intake right up to the base of that scoop so it gets the air, OR weld in some way of ducting the air from the scoop to your current filter location. Either way is a royal pain, and will require some fab skills.

As far as water and debris, well... a screen will stop things like squirrels from getting inside, but won't really stop dirt. Water would mostly be vaporized unless you're driving in a very heavy rain storm. Something to be careful of though, nonetheless. If I'm not mistaken, cars with scoops like that have some way of draining water out when the vehicle is turned off, too. Otherwise if your Blazer sits outside in a rain storm all of that water will accumulate in the scoop and kill your engine when you leave for work the next day.

BigEffingHammer 03-04-2012 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by TheRandom1 (Post 502663)
First off, if you have the aftermarket intake and have sealed it from the engine bay then you have a legitimate cold air intake as it's not sucking air from the hot engine bay, but the cooler air ahead of the grill/headlight area. The designs you posted are called Ram Air. I'm sure you can get what it does from the name, but at speed, it's ramming air into the intake. Sadly my cheap aftermarket intake did not come with a heat shield and I never bothered to put one on.

That all being said, a bit scoop like that would probably look pretty weird on a Blazer, or at least a 2nd gen one. Perhaps if you made a scoop like the WRX's had it wouldn't be TOO bad, but still...
Well, that may be true. :D

To do something like that, you'd either want to get a FG hood, or weld the scoop on. (don't use one of those bolt on scoops, that's just awful) then you'd have to either route your whole intake right up to the base of that scoop so it gets the air, OR weld in some way of ducting the air from the scoop to your current filter location. Either way is a royal pain, and will require some fab skills. Well, I was planning on just making and bolting on a scoop. I can't imagine it'd be too painful to route the air intake to the scoop.

As far as water and debris, well... a screen will stop things like squirrels from getting inside, but won't really stop dirt. Water would mostly be vaporized unless you're driving in a very heavy rain storm. Something to be careful of though, nonetheless. If I'm not mistaken, cars with scoops like that have some way of draining water out when the vehicle is turned off, too. Otherwise if your Blazer sits outside in a rain storm all of that water will accumulate in the scoop and kill your engine when you leave for work the next day.Probably would set up some sort of drain type thing before the filter so if there was a sideways rainstorm pounding rain in there, it'd drain out.

Thanks for your input good sir.

TheRandom1 03-04-2012 10:02 AM

Making a heat shield is your best bet. I have not once seen a bolt on hood scoop that did not look awful. As far as routing, don't forget you have things like the TB and maf sensors and such that need to be installed, so you would have a lot of hose to run.

BigEffingHammer 03-04-2012 10:12 AM

So what are your thoughts on running a hood scoop for engine ventilation? Not having it hooked to the intake.

TheRandom1 03-04-2012 10:25 AM

No reason for it. If you really wanted to vent the engine bay, you'd be better off using port hole style fender vents from an old Buick or something.

pettyfog 03-04-2012 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by TheRandom1 (Post 502681)
No reason for it. If you really wanted to vent the engine bay, you'd be better off using port hole style fender vents from an old Buick or something.

Which weren't really functional after the thirties or so.
The absolute best and most efficient method of venting the engine bay is an air dam below the underneath fan shroud.

Works every time it's tried properly.. results in overheating on the track when it's removed.
PERIOD

BigEffingHammer 03-04-2012 12:06 PM

Well... ultimately I am not worried about overheating... I just want a scoop and yo possibly make it useful

BigEffingHammer 03-04-2012 12:28 PM

Well... ultimately I am not worried about overheating... I just want a scoop and yo possibly make it useful

pettyfog 03-04-2012 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by BigEffingHammer (Post 502706)

Well, dude, ... yo... the most functional and reliable hood scoop, especially in the tight spaces these trucks have, is.......

.. one that does nothing.

That is unless you are willing to actually put your actions where your mouth is:

Put a scoop right above where your airbox is and use that as a feed to the K&N shroud or even the stock airbox with extension and foam gasket to mate.

It's different, it is really a CAI.

For crying out loud, once you like it, get it blended into the hood sheet metal so it looks like you spent more than 25 bucks on it