Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/)
-   -   will straight pips blow my motor (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/will-straight-pips-blow-my-motor-5776/)

mikehillis1@yahoo.co 10-02-2006 02:03 AM

will straight pips blow my motor

i have straight pips right now on my 95 blazer and i wanted to no if i left it that way if it would blow my motor??

DetroitMuscle 10-02-2006 08:46 AM

RE: will straight pips blow my motor

It will cause damage eventually but it wont be the cause of a blown motor. I dont know why there isnt a muffler on there, thats got to be a very annoying sound.

offroaddude77 10-02-2006 01:52 PM

ill second that on the annoying sound

jagblazer01 10-02-2006 01:55 PM

yea straight pipes will sound cruddy on a v6....drop a 350 in there with straight pipes and u got something going on:D

sledneck16 10-02-2006 06:10 PM

actually it doesnt sound that bad.......then again i stll had the resonator and stock cat when i was running it.......

i ran it for about 5 months with no problem, but now i have 2.5' stainless exhaust, 2.25' stainless y pipe, high flow cat and a nice muffler....MUCH better sound![8D]

tommyd 10-03-2006 02:39 AM

stock exhaust aside from a resonator, 2 months or so now no problems. Though I think the cat has gone to hell

Edit: Why would this cause any damage whatsoever? I've never heard of straight through exhaust harming anything. My grandpa's 87 chevy has been running straight headers since I was 3 years old. 97 stroker camero straight duals 2 years no problems 502 powered tacoma 2" primaries to 6" collectors 3 years now I beleive no problems. 95 t/a headers to pipe no problems 99 mustang gt headers to resonators no problems. What would cause engine trouble/damage and why havn't I ever heard/seen this before.

mikehillis1@yahoo.co 10-03-2006 09:55 PM

alright thanks and i am putting a 350 in

DetroitMuscle 10-03-2006 11:16 PM

ORIGINAL: tommyd

stock exhaust aside from a resonator, 2 months or so now no problems. Though I think the cat has gone to hell

Edit: Why would this cause any damage whatsoever? I've never heard of straight through exhaust harming anything. My grandpa's 87 chevy has been running straight headers since I was 3 years old. 97 stroker camero straight duals 2 years no problems 502 powered tacoma 2" primaries to 6" collectors 3 years now I beleive no problems. 95 t/a headers to pipe no problems 99 mustang gt headers to resonators no problems. What would cause engine trouble/damage and why havn't I ever heard/seen this before.
The motors have anything done to em? i mean a 502 is a built motor, the others as well, most likely a 4.3 doesnt have any work done to the engine such as changes in the need for this pressure to operate correctly( unlike the race motors and bolt on motors you are running. Ive had both kinds of motors like you in various classic chevies over the years, some didnt need mufflers, some did but the ones that didnt had tuned headers for power), A stock motor wont benifit a thing from straight pipes, only cause premature mechanical failure(s).

DetroitMuscle 10-03-2006 11:17 PM

ORIGINAL: mikehillis1@yahoo.co

alright thanks and i am putting a 350 in
Don't you live in california?

tommyd 10-04-2006 01:26 PM

Most of the motors have had things done to them. Aside from my grandpas truck which is an unknown. I beleive it to have mild headwork done to it but he bought it like that and hasn't really done much but change the oil. My 4.3 has just an intake and the exhaust on it. Though I still have the stock cat which is (if I am correct) the main source for back pressure and shouldn't be a big issue if you still retain SOME back pressure. What kind of mech. failures are we talking here?