Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

2" suspension lift gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:07 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road
Default 2" suspension lift gremlins

I installed a Rough Country 2" suspension lift about 10k miles ago along with "new" CV shafts from Advance Auto Parts (they were made in China). From mile one I have experienced a vibration in the front end due to the extreme angle of the CV shafts. This is very noticeable at 75 - 80 mph (The speed limit on I-10 west of here is 80mph). The way I have been coping with this problem is to crank down the torsion bars when highway driving and then cranking them back up when driving around town or trail running. I am getting tired of carrying around a 18mm socket and ratchet on the front passenger seat. Does anyone know of a 1" or 2" front diff drop kit? I can't believe that no one makes this. Am I missing something? I know that I could simply leave the torsion bars cranked all the way down, but that kinda negates the whole point of the lift. Plus I don't like the nose down look. Also... does anyone know where I can get an outside spare tire carrier?

Last edited by bandidolenny; 05-15-2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-16-2009, 12:09 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: 2" suspension lift gremlins

ORIGINAL: bandidolenny
The way I have been coping with this problem is to crank down the torsion bars when highway driving and then cranking them back up when driving around town or trail running. I am getting tired of carrying around a 18mm socket and rachet on the front passenger seat.

You cannot be serious.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:36 AM
DJ 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

lol, How much do you have them bars cranked? As far as the drop kit for the diff i haven't ever seen one. I now many people have problems with the angles but usually thats on the big 5-6inch. susp.lifts. How are those 31's holden up any odd wear on them, generally supposed to have the front realigned after cranking the t-bars.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

We do that currently on my dads 2004 K2500. Winter comes and the plow gets put in use, the TBs get cranked 10 turns to account for the weight of the plow and we adjust the headlights down 5 turns on the elevation for when the plow is not on. Once spring comes, we reset everything. Twice a year is not bad.

It makes sense. For the average person, even with big tires, on road driving will not cause too many issues. If you are doing it every weekend, then that could be a bit excessive.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:20 AM

Yes,I know it sounds rediculousbut I seriously do this about once or twice a week. Isetthe torsion bar adjuster bolts atabout half of the threads... any higher and the vibration gets to be too much. For highway driving I back them out almost completely. As far as the 31's go, I actually run two sets... 31"BFG mud-terrains on 15x8's with 5" of backspacing and 31" BFG all-terrains on the 15x7 factory wheels. I have had decent wear patterns on the front tires on both sets. I have the camber angles adjusted so as to "square" the front tires and not have the tops of the tires leaning in. I am currently running a 1/4" of tow-in and that seems to work really well. As far as th vibration, I think my next step will be to try to find somehigh quality half shafts and see if that helps. After that, maybe try to make a front diff drop kit myself. Does anyone know if a swing away spare tire carrier from a two door will fit a four door? I cant seem to findone in the aftermarket.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Starting Member
greenjimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

i am doing that too (the rear tire rack), i am just going to find a totaled 2 door with it and take it. the only aftermarket tire rack i saw was one for that hooks up to the tow hitch. the problem with that is, u can't tow anything and i use my rig for towing as well as wheeling.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:42 AM

If youinstall a 2 door tire carrier on your 4 door anytime soon I would be very interested to know how it works out. Of course finding one is a whole challenge by itself...

Old 03-05-2009, 02:06 AM

UPDATE: I recently have AGAIN changed out my cv shafts. This time I installed Cardone brand shafts. After the install I completely removed the torsion bar adjuster bolts. I cleaned and lubricated the threads and re-installed them both with only 2 turns in (the adjuster bolts were only 7 turns in before). The vibration is now gone but I now have that nose down look that I hate. The picture below is how the truck sits now. I guess I will live with the truck this way until I can go with a bigger lift that drops the front diff or preferably a straight axle conversion.

Last edited by bandidolenny; 03-05-2009 at 03:24 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It does not look too bad in your sig, but those are the things that can happen when you run the indexed keys.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Logan is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bandidolenny
If youinstall a 2 door tire carrier on your 4 door anytime soon I would be very interested to know how it works out. Of course finding one is a whole challenge by itself...
Why the hell does everyone complain about finding these things? I found 3 last time I was at the wreckers. I think they ask $100-150 for them CND. They seem to be in every wrecking yard I visit.

Quick Reply: 2" suspension lift gremlins