Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Body lift problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:27 AM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

On my 92, went according to plan, if not better. Didn't remove radiator or rear bumper like instructions said to. Only issue I had was my model had the two piece steering shaft, but after the 3 inch body lift the steering still "stuck" in places. That was in September, by march or April it has pretty much worn those stuck spots out and steering is like normal.

And of cource, no company makes bumper brackets for any size body lift for the 1st gen blazers or pickups. But most people know that before doing the lift. The carriage bolts on the bumpers of the 1st gen are a pain and time consuming to get off. And off cource, as mentioned above, your 4x4 shifter if on the floor will need the floor or panel trimmed to go into 4lo. Also it will only be maybe 1-2 inch above the boot, but I shift mine with my fingers and it works ok. Still want to extend it somehow one day.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:54 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

I just finished my P.A. 2" lift, just myself no helpers avail.
wow what a job, I also installed Energy Suspension Urathane
body mounts, that added a lot of extra time. The lower fan shroud
mount I had to modify by narrowing the end that fits into the center
lower fan shroud and slightly lessing the sharp angle to fit nice and tight
to hold the lower fan shroud, i probably spent the most time on the fuel
filler area. and if all possible try to do this with air tools. mostly
for the actual body mounts, mine were full of rust from the rubber mounts
incased with metal . and the front bumper needed trimming also, so that was a put on take off multiple time ordeal. Im glad its over, I need some
Tylenol

Old 07-31-2010, 10:17 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad you got it done. And Tylenol is bad for you, whiskey is more soothing and take longer to hurt your body, lol. Seriously though you liking the new look of the truck?

Old 08-01-2010, 04:34 PM
sIcK dAiLy DrIvEr! is on a distinguished road

well i did my lift about 2 months ago and the only ordeal i ran across was i snapped one bolt and i just scrapped the lower fan shroud because it is not always necessary. the upper tunnels enough air to keep the engine cool. but thats it. it took me and a buddy of mine only 8 hours and a couple cases of beer. haha. seriously.

great thread though. also hope this helps some of the people thinking about doing a 2in B.L. really guys, not hard at all.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:36 AM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

Imscrewed, yes i know about the tylenol thing and tequila is my sorce of pain remover, but times are tough, for the GMC Envoy with the 2" B.L.
now sits where it should have frome the factory, and yes i do like the look of it now more than before, I dont mean any disrespect to any females on this site, but auto manuactuers need to stop taking suggestions from scoccer moms about 4x4's that have almost no wheel clearance, i'm waiting to get the 31" tires before i tackle the shackle lift.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:49 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

1) DO NOT remove the lower fan shroud... the body lift kit should include 2" spacers to go in between the upper and lower fan shroud halves.

2) An option to cutting up the rear bumper is to simply move it back one bolt hole as pictured below... this way you can still tow a light trailer with it.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Starting Member
Blazn1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My fan shrowd was jacked up from blasting through water anyways, so I left it off. Have not had problems with heat. I also cut my bumper and still tow a trailer with it. Going to modify my hitch and re mount it next.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 PM

for any one that is interested, I wanted to reuse my hitch that came from the factory,that hitch option had bumper brackets built into the hitch its self, Performance Acc. sayed that factory option I wont be able to use the factory hitch option because of the new 2" lifted kit bumper brackets. I'm am thinking with a little cutting here and there, and a few new welds, I may be able to reuse it. If not then i will have to go with a after market Reese or U haul type because of the different hitch brackets.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:56 PM

UPDATE:
I managed to figure out a a way to reuse the factory hitch assembily with a 2" lift. Its not all that difficult, and a helper would come in real handy.

I have pics on my photo gallery, what you do is remove the bumper and loosten the bolts on the lifted bumper bracket and tap out with a hammer to make them wide as possible, Cut off the origional bumper tabs from the factory hitch, remove the extra metal close to the mounting holes, the bumper may need a little more trimming where the kit brackets are mounted leave the kit brackets loose, and reinstall the hitch then the bumper over the hitch mounts reinstall the double stud fasteners and all other hardware, tighten securly, and I'm back in business. I did the job
in about 3 hours alone, with a helper and some Cold Beer it will go quicker

Old 08-07-2010, 02:21 AM
Starting Member
Blazn1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did the body lift brackets go on the outside of the hitch brackets? If i remember the lift brackets replaced the hitch brackets. How much do you hammer them out, or is there enough play to slide them over the hitch?

Quick Reply: Body lift problems