Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Body Lift Shift Linkage Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 08:02 AM
tony991 is on a distinguished road

Ya it worked out great. I have found just one problem with the body lift. When i turn the steering wheel its like something’s rubbing cause I feel small bumps (idk how to explain it lol) in the steering wheel. It's hardly noticeable.. I do have the two piece steering shaft and it did come apart like it should of. BUT, I just bought this truck a few weeks ago and after i did the body lift I noticed the steering "bumps" so I checked the power steering fluid and it was very low so I added some and the "bumps" got less noticeable but they’re still there. So my power steering pump might be bad, idk though. Idk how long the guy before me was driving around like that.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:41 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the 2 piece shaft also, but after my lift I felt the steering was sticking. When I first did it it was sticking bad enough I could let go off the wheel in turns and the wheel would stay turned. It wouldn't straighten out like it used to.

But that was back in September, now I can still feel it stick but it is very faint. I wouldn't worry about it. It hardly is noticable at all now. Wouldn't even know it if you weren't looking for it.

Glad you got that linkage done. You liking it so far?

Old 05-22-2010, 01:28 PM

Ya I love it. lol It's not registered or insured so I've been just driving it around my neighborhood. It's already a head turner, people will stop what there doing (mowing,talking,etc) and look at it lol Only thing I don't like about the lift is the 4x4 shift lever is so low, but i can live with it.

I was also wondering, Did you figure out how to raise the rear bumper? The front is easy, I already have some ideas. But the back has me stumped. I don't really want a big gap back there. Plus, it doesnt look like its really lifted with the bumper in the stock location.

But I definatly want it higher!!! lol I was gonna start taking the front end out today. But The dreaded axle nut is stuck. I tried heating it, pb blaster, cheater bars, and an impact gun... Didn't even think about turning. lol so.. I'm gonna put the grille and bumper back on, slap some plates on it and take it to a local shop and have them deal with the axle nut. The hardest parts to take out is the axle nuts and the torsion bars. lol but its all worth it lol

Old 05-22-2010, 10:42 PM

Good good. I hear ya on wanting to be higher. I know I posted this in another thread but you seem like a off road kind of person so you might appriciate this

Normally runs 39.5 inch high, 15 inch wide tires. Had to put stockers on to fit on the trailor to transport it from it's winter storage to his house. Since it is FAR from street legal, lol. Has a full slider set up that wraps around the truck 360 degrees. 4.88 gears with a spirited 5.7L 350. Complete rollcage. Custom bumpers front and back. A whole heep of goodies.

Nah I haven't relocated my bumpers yet. I heard that some of the front bumper brackets were bolt on and some welded. I've heard if they are bolted on you can just unbolt them, raise them and weld them higher up. On the back you have to cut open the top of the frame rails and lift them up and weld in place. Or just build a set of L shapped brackets for them. A local 4x4 shop said they would make some brackets out of some rust resistant metal, all four brackets for $80. So I'm gonna just have them make some for me.

For the short term, you can unbolt the plastic valence off the front bumper, that helped mine look lifted with the bumpers down low. I think I'm gonna get those brackets and some wheel well gap guards next.

Oh and good luck bustin' that nut!

Old 05-24-2010, 04:54 PM

It looks like it's in pretty good condition. Kinda funny looking with small tires. lol does the cat add horsepower? lol

I already have valence off. I put the front bumper and grille on my truck yesterday, it looks stupid lol I'm gonna raise the front bumper by bolting the bottom holes in the bumper on the upper holes of the frame. And i'll make a bracket that'll bolt from the bottom and upper hole of the frame and itll extend upwards to the top hole of the bumper. It's kinda hard to explain but ill take some pics when i do it. And for the back i might be able to use L brackets but idk yet.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:10 PM

Good deal. Lookin foreward to pics. I've got a four day weekend comin' up at work cause of memorial day, I might tackle my bumpers too. And replace my big 3 wire with 1/0 gauge, and make a set of gap guards... It never stops! ha ha. Yeah if those bumper brackets work I would really appriciate some pics. I've been driving mine with the low bumpers since September and it's driving me nuts.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:44 AM

Before 3" Body Lift

With 3" Body Lift

Old 06-06-2010, 11:39 PM

Bout time I seen something! lol

Lookin' good. Good project truck. Body's a lil rough but for a earlier 1st gen it's not bad at all. And as long as the frame and all is straight your golden. Hope that Trailmaster lift is commin' along.

As for the bumper brackets. You sound like your on the right path on the front bumper. On the rear I thought about just drilling new holes in the frame and mounting the bracket higher. But a local shop said they would build me some, so I'm gonna see what they think would work best and take it from there. If they don't want too much, I'll just have them make them. If they want too much, I'll just steal thier idea(s) and have someone else fab them up. I think they said about $80 for all four.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:39 AM

Ya i know lol I just made a photbucket acount.

This is how it looks right now.. I had to cut that bracket that was for the diff. it wouldn't come out any other way. I wonder how people would take it out if they were just repairing the diff..

I just have to get the gears, have a shop put them in the diff. and throw the lift in. Then once the front is done I'll start on the rear. The back is gonna be cake to lift lol

I'll probably just copy your idea for the rear bumper brackets lol