Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Lifting Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lifting-tech-44/)
-   -   A few questions about torsion keys and shackles. (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lifting-tech-44/few-questions-about-torsion-keys-shackles-53371/)

Moores12345 12-30-2010 12:03 AM

A few questions about torsion keys and shackles.

Can't seem to find a tutorial on putting in new bigger shackles in the back of my truck. I was going to order 3" shackles for the rear and torsion keys for the front. I didn't know if the shackles were as easy as taking the old ones out and putting the new ones in or..

Does it have to be jacked up? Once I take out the existing shackles (stock), will the truck drop? Thus why I ask if it has to be up on a jack for safety and to install them. Not sure how the keys work or how they are installed either.

I would think the hardest part about the shackles would getting the old stock ones out..

98' 4x4 4dr.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Tyson.

ABN31B 12-30-2010 12:56 AM

chock front tire
lift back end
jack stands on frame
little jack under axel to easy tension on spring
pull bolt from spring first (my preferred method)
pull bolt from frame
repeat for other side
install new shackle at frame
doing your best rubber-guard-to-body-triangle, push leaf into shackle and 'pin'
tap bolt gently in and secure everything (dont chew up threads)

WIN!

as for the keys, someone else will have to chime in, i dont llike the idea of keys so i avoided them :icon_shrug:

use search on this forum and there is probably 100+ threads on "how to's" and "walk thrus" for the shackles. dunno about the keys, but i'd imagine there are some...

you might want to look into the "recommended safe crank" for your t-bars before shelling out for the keys:
unless you are currently maxed and still sagging up front, you should be able to snatch an inch or 2 on the stock keys...

an inch is not considered dangerous. most accept 1.5" as not all that risky. 2" is considered max 'safe' crank before you start chewing up CV's and such... people's opinions differ... i have been running at or around +1.5 on both, AFTER installing new CVs, and got an alignment: no issues yet :icon_denk:

with the 3" shackles you should get +1.5" straight lift maybe a bit more. after the shackles are installed, crank t-bar until you achieve the desired look/height

it should be noted you can crank the t-bar until it will not go any further if you want though.

Moores12345 12-30-2010 01:42 AM

Awesome stuff man. So you can crank the t-bar as much as you want until they won't turn anymore. I only turned mine two complete turns on each one because I was afraid to break something. I know the more you crank them the more the stress is on the front end, but who cares as long as it looks good.

:icon_bike:

I'm trying to find a set of 31's now for a good price. I can get a set new for 139-159 + taxes a tire but even that is a little much for my skinny wallet.

Looking to get a set for about 400 bones taxes in, more than likely used.

mdehoogh 12-30-2010 02:38 AM

Keep an eye on craigslist and other classifieds sites. Good deals are out there but they can take time to find. I cranked my tbars up basically all the way but I will be lowering them down a little bit.

I should pick up my shackles tomorrow and I'll take plenty of pics during installation.

The keys are trickier to install and you'll need a special tool to unload the bars.

Moores12345 12-30-2010 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by mdehoogh (Post 391735)
Keep an eye on craigslist and other classifieds sites. Good deals are out there but they can take time to find. I cranked my tbars up basically all the way but I will be lowering them down a little bit.

I should pick up my shackles tomorrow and I'll take plenty of pics during installation.

The keys are trickier to install and you'll need a special tool to unload the bars.

I've tried eBay but for the same price I can buy them new here and have them the same day. Nothing much in my area on craigslist. Tried two other classified sites and nothing at all.

I need a set of tires, but I refuse to buy anything but 31's or 265x75x15's.

mdehoogh 12-30-2010 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Moores12345 (Post 391736)
I've tried eBay but for the same price I can buy them new here and have them the same day. Nothing much in my area on craigslist. Tried two other classified sites and nothing at all.

I need a set of tires, but I refuse to buy anything but 31's or 265x75x15's.

Yeah I know what you mean man. Everywhere around here wanted about 120-140ea for new tires. I checked CL daily for several weeks and finally two great deals showed up around the same time and I ended up getting mine for 200 total.

If you have anywhere nearby that will match online prices, treadepot.com has General Grabbers for 117 and Toyo Open Country AT for 117. I seem to remember someone posting about some BFG T/A KO for 119 too. Not sure where it was that advertised that price. Those are all in USD but I think USD and CAD are pretty much even right now

Moores12345 12-30-2010 02:43 PM

Sounds good I'll check that out. I also have the 2" PA Body Lift as well. May get the tires, do that bit of trimming and then end up installing the lift if I can manage to do it by myself. Tough to do outside in the winter, but I'm more confident I can pull it off when I get 4 days off.

Don't see the point in attempting the body lift until I have the tires. 235x7515 will just look too small. Plus I'm also trying to figure out if I can make a set of gap guards.

Edit: Just found out my postal code won't work, guess they don't ship to Canada.

ABN31B 12-30-2010 10:39 PM

gap guards: get a utility knife, and go to a Costal Farm and Supply store (or Canadian equiv.) and score some 1/4" rubber matting. trim to size and

WIN!

even if you by the knife and a pack of replacement blades, you are still only out maybe $20 instead of $75+ to buy em.

Moores12345 12-30-2010 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by ABN31B (Post 391970)
gap guards: get a utility knife, and go to a Costal Farm and Supply store (or Canadian equiv.) and score some 1/4" rubber matting. trim to size and

WIN!

even if you by the knife and a pack of replacement blades, you are still only out maybe $20 instead of $75+ to buy em.

But how would I keep them on, or for that matter what keeps gap guards in place?

ABN31B 12-30-2010 11:45 PM

looks like little plastic christmas tree pins like on the door panels but smaller... :icon_shrug:

maybe screws...

I haven't made mine since i haven't lifted the body 2" yet :(

i would imagine that a few nuts and bolts inplace of what ever is there will be what I use (unless it's held on with screws) so i can pull it to change spark plugs... :icon_twocents:

somebody else on this forum actually did the rubber mat to gap guard mod... dont remember who (bandido lenny comes to mind) and i remember seeing that they came out looking good