Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Lift keys and shackles

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 12:11 AM
Jeromy37 is on a distinguished road
Default Lift keys and shackles

Hey guys looking for tips/info.I've got a 98 GMC Jimmy and getting ready to raise her, here's what I've got.I picked up an eBay torsion 3in torsion key and shackle kit.the shackles have 2 sets of holes one is 3in the other is 4in.My tires are 33x12.5x15 on 15x10 rims,they're Jeep wheels with 5on5 pattern I'm using 1.25in thick adapters.the rims have 4.5in backspacing.Question 1 do you think shocks for 1/2ton full-size Chevy be sufficient for the increase of lift in the front?I've found shock spacers for the rear but can't find them for the front.
Question 2 does anyone sell a kit to drop down the front diff? I ask this because I cranked up the stock torsion bars to get 31x10.50 and it put so much angle on the inner CV shafts that it pulled both CV boots off and slung the grease out all over.Question 3 does anyone know if the body mount bolts from the 91-94 blazers are the same thread as the 98? I would really like to go with a 3in body lift but they don't make them for us second gen guys,plus I'm not worried about bumper lift brackets because I'm building custom bumpers for both front and rear.any tips and input that anybody has would be greatly appreciated especially if there's anything I'm not taking into account.Thank you!

Old 02-16-2019, 12:30 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Question 2:

Regarding the dropping of the front axle, you might be able to order the parts to do that from Rough Country from their 2.5" lift kit. I was able to order just the upper control arms when I did my lift instead of having to get the whole kit.

Regarding the CV boots, I had the same problem of them slipping off the inner lip. I attributed this to the OEM boot material being stiffer and less flexible than what we can get now that is made out of neoprene. When I had to replace the cover on the left side of the front differential, I took the opportunity to replace the CV boot with one i got from NAPA. It was a simple job and gave me a chance to clean out the grease and repack it.

Last edited by christine_208; 02-16-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:12 AM
Default Christine_208

Thank for the info first of all.I will definitely check with Rough Country on that today,along with the replacement boots.Just out curiosity what did they charge you for the control arms? I have always thought it would be nice if they sold just the control arms. I have found a company that sells upper balljoint spacers to get the same effect as the longer control arms but in order to use these spacers you have to also use 16in rims so this is wonderful news.

This is the spacer kit i found on ebay

Old 02-16-2019, 08:02 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I did everything your doing, including the BJ spacers, nothing but trouble. BJ spacers ended up cracking upper control arms. Also by spreading the control arms they rubbed on the rims. And 33 inch tires will be to big. You will have rubbing and have to do some cutting of your fenders

Old 02-16-2019, 08:32 AM

Yeah I've already cut the lower rear portion of the fenders and some of the fascia so that's not a big deal there.And yeah I was already skeptical of the balljoint spacers, so I'm glad I haven't wasted the money on a set.thank you for letting me know about them.what size tire are you able to clear on yours?Also do have the body lifted as well?

Old 02-16-2019, 12:24 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jeromy37
Thank for the info first of all.I will definitely check with Rough Country on that today,along with the replacement boots.Just out curiosity what did they charge you for the control arms? I have always thought it would be nice if they sold just the control arms. I have found a company that sells upper balljoint spacers to get the same effect as the longer control arms but in order to use these spacers you have to also use 16in rims so this is wonderful news.
This is the spacer kit i found on ebay
In August 2016, I paid $250 for the upper control arms from Rough Country for their 2.5" suspension lift.

I've attached the RC instructions I got that describe the parts and how to install them for lowering the front axle.

Keep us posted.