Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Lifting Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lifting-tech-44/)
-   -   Lift shackles question (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lifting-tech-44/lift-shackles-question-78682/)

thibault116 04-17-2013 07:01 PM

Lift shackles question

hey i was wondering where you guys get your lift shackles from and should you replace your bushings when doing them. im looking to get 3 or 4 inches out of the shackles. i was also wondering if you have any tricks of getting the seized bolts out. its a 01 zr2 i live in Canada so they will most likely be seized in the bushing.

gitch93 04-17-2013 11:55 PM

instead of buying some its cheaper to make ur own shackles and make ur own required length. i had a set made for a friend for 40 bucks that was a 3 inch shackle eye to eye. as for the bushings just inspect the ones u have and if they are in good shape u can keep them. the bolts are usually rusty give it a good spray for the next few days with penetrating oil to free up any rust. the main cause of the bolts seizeing up is inside the bushing sleeve and can cause alot of work as mine were. a bfh will do the trick.

newguy 04-18-2013 03:00 AM

I have a couple of BFH`s, love em

tibby 04-18-2013 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by thibault116 (Post 579769)
hey i was wondering where you guys get your lift shackles from and should you replace your bushings when doing them. im looking to get 3 or 4 inches out of the shackles. i was also wondering if you have any tricks of getting the seized bolts out. its a 01 zr2 i live in Canada so they will most likely be seized in the bushing.

A week leading up to the install, spray wd-40 or pb blaster on it. It will help a great deal. Also, 4 inch lift shackles aren't safe. Most go with 2 inch lift shackles. Make sure to check the writing of the shackle description too! 2 inch shackles and 2 inch lift shackles are completely different. 2 inch shackles will provide 1 inch of lift where as 2 inch lift shackles will provide 2 inches of lift. This is because the shackles only provide half whatever is specified unless it specifically says "lift shackles."

skotti 04-18-2013 08:58 AM

You realize the shackles have to be double the length to achieve the height you want. 1" = 1/2" lift.

Just an example, your shackles now are guesstimate 5" - you want 3" lift, that would be an 11" shackle.

So if the math didnt scare you, now consider how thick and braced they have to be so your rear end isnt all over the place. Not too mention the effect on the quality of ride, shackles play a good bit into the spring rate, im sure damn near doubling the length will have an effect.

No one should try to get that much lift out of a shackle!! If you do it, please share the pictures of it when it breaks, so noone else does it.

00chevblazer 04-18-2013 08:58 AM

Helps to take the rear quarters off an move the charcoal canister. Spray with PB for a while. I could get the nut off, but the bolts were siezed and they just spun inside the bushings.

I took a torque wrench on the bolt and set it to something high and kept tension on it as well as hitting the other end with a BFH. Mine popped out after some persuasion. But I had to use some heat on the other one. Melted the bushing then replaced it. Oil the eyelet and press the new one in. I made a press out of all thread, a pipe cap a couple nuts and some fender washers. Works like a dream.

thibault116 04-18-2013 12:17 PM

one of my buddy's has 6 inch lift shackles on his Jeep drives it every day no problems. Is there any websites where i can get some shackles i cant seem to find any im not into ebay never ordered off ebay before. i would make the shackles but i don't trust my welder for nice strong welds. thanks.

tibby 04-18-2013 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by thibault116 (Post 579885)
one of my buddy's has 6 inch lift shackles on his Jeep drives it every day no problems. Is there any websites where i can get some shackles i cant seem to find any im not into ebay never ordered off ebay before. i would make the shackles but i don't trust my welder for nice strong welds. thanks.

6 inch lift shackles? That's almost physically impossible. They would snap like you can with your fingers when humming to a tune. On that same line, I don't know a single person or company who would dare make 6 inch lift shackles. If you mean 6 inch shackles, meaning 3 inches of lift, you can find those. It won't be too easy to find 3 inch lift shackles because 2 inch lift shackles are the norm. They are the norm because they go with cranking your t-bars.

Here are some Fabtech 2 inch LIFT shackles. You can find them on their site and of course... eBay.

thibault116 04-18-2013 12:53 PM

i found this site they say the shackles fit my truck and the Colorado i have lift shackles right now that my brother gave to me they where for his 08 Colorado but he got add a leaf instead. i held them up to my stock zr2 shackles they are a little bit wider but not much wider. the ones my brother gave me are suspension maxx they are a different brand but im guessing they have to be the same width. this is the site. http://app.infopia.com/Shop/Control/...ds_per_page/48

newguy 04-18-2013 01:16 PM

Those will work