Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Need lifting help to clear 33's

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Beginning Member
Anonymous907 is on a distinguished road

Warthogdriver: I do the same thing, off road cruising, not really into the hardcore stuff. yet lol I just enjoy getting out on a trail and seeing the views, get to fishin spots, etc. I'll have to keep an eye out when I do this to make sure I don't run into that camber problem as well.

Nvanzee: I wanted to get a smaller wheel to have more tire when going over obstacles, but maybe I will just stick with the 15" wheel. I definitely don't want my tires hitting my calipers though. Definitely will make sure that isn't going to happen if I can manage to do so.

Tibby: Thanks for the recommended gear ratio. What difference in performance would I have, if any at all, when going to 4:11 gears? Am I basically just accommodating to the larger tire size so I don't burn s**t up down there? I used to own a 1988 Jeep Cherokee with a 2"bl and 3.5" sl on 33's and to my knowledge the gears were never changed to accommodate the lift. Granted now I will be lifting my Jimmy much higher than that.

I'm new to this site and appreciate all the help from ya'll. I already feel at home on this site. Thanks for all the advice!

Old 03-21-2012, 02:37 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by Anonymous907
Warthogdriver: I do the same thing, off road cruising, not really into the hardcore stuff. yet lol I just enjoy getting out on a trail and seeing the views, get to fishin spots, etc. I'll have to keep an eye out when I do this to make sure I don't run into that camber problem as well.

Nvanzee: I wanted to get a smaller wheel to have more tire when going over obstacles, but maybe I will just stick with the 15" wheel. I definitely don't want my tires hitting my calipers though. Definitely will make sure that isn't going to happen if I can manage to do so.

Tibby: Thanks for the recommended gear ratio. What difference in performance would I have, if any at all, when going to 4:11 gears? Am I basically just accommodating to the larger tire size so I don't burn s**t up down there? I used to own a 1988 Jeep Cherokee with a 2"bl and 3.5" sl on 33's and to my knowledge the gears were never changed to accommodate the lift. Granted now I will be lifting my Jimmy much higher than that.

I'm new to this site and appreciate all the help from ya'll. I already feel at home on this site. Thanks for all the advice!
Without proper gears, your jimmy will bog down and have a power decrease because of the bigger tires. In order to compensate, a more efficient gear ratio for the bigger tires is installed. Do you know what gears you have right now? If it's the 3:42 ratio you would definitely want to upgrade. If it's the 3:73 ratio, you might be okay, but it would bog down at least a little still.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:29 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

i have 3.73s with my 33s and dont have any issues. Had 3.42s before that and they werent that bad. with 4.10s you will have issues going 70 on the highway. If it were me and it was a daily driver i would keep the stick gearing. not worth the extra money to upgrade

also with 15in wheels you will still have 9in of rubber between the wheel and the obstacles. that is plenty. plus a 14in wheel will only give you another half in.

Last edited by NVANZEE; 03-21-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Default .

Originally Posted by NVANZEE
i have 3.73s with my 33s and dont have any issues. Had 3.42s before that and they werent that bad. with 4.10s you will have issues going 70 on the highway. If it were me and it was a daily driver i would keep the stick gearing. not worth the extra money to upgrade
Well there ya go OP. If you have 3.42s, upgrade to at least 3.73s but no more than 4.11s.

And I can't imagine 33s with a 3.42 ratio. My blazer bogs down with only 31s and the 3.42 ratio.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:43 PM
Starting Member
PlanB4x4 is on a distinguished road

i would go at least 411's if i was going to change gears, i have 373's in my z with 33's and i would much rather have 411's but to his there own i guess.... and good luck finding a 33 in a 14inch rim, i found it hard to find 15's because everyone is going to 16inch rims now a days, so the price in tires has gone up for the 15, 14's are really scarce now.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:09 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by NVANZEE
Not sure why you would want to go down to a 14in wheel but im not sure if they would clear the front brake calipers. With the 15s i have i had to use stick on wheel weights on the inside of the wheel and i cant get them to stay on cause they hit the calipers.
Counter Balancing Beads worked for me! It's been 2 years & all the tires are wearing normally, no unevenness etc.
Counteract Balancing Beads - Balancing the wheels of transportation, Improve fuel economy, Increase tire life, Reduce vibration, Reduce maintenance, Balance from truck to trailer, Trouble free and guaranteed, Environmentally friendly, North America,
No weights to lose, toss them in once & you're done, if your rims get packed with mud give the tire a kick & as you drive they'll re-balance.
They cost me about $14 a tire, pretty much what a person would pay to have a tire balanced once. They have a scale for tire sizes on the site for how many oz's you'll need for a specific tire.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:15 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by tibby
Well there ya go OP. If you have 3.42s, upgrade to at least 3.73s but no more than 4.11s.

And I can't imagine 33s with a 3.42 ratio. My blazer bogs down with only 31s and the 3.42 ratio.
Bogs down yes but a lot of that has to do with getting the PCM recalibrated for the taller tires. Shift points, speedo, odo, rev limiters etc will all be affected by the slower rotating tires IE: taller.
I have 3:42 in mine with 32" tires, everything has been recalibrated while on the dyno & it still revs around 1700 -1800 @ 70mph in OD.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Default .

Originally Posted by Rottidog
Bogs down yes but a lot of that has to do with getting the PCM recalibrated for the taller tires. Shift points, speedo, odo, rev limiters etc will all be affected by the slower rotating tires IE: taller.
I have 3:42 in mine with 32" tires, everything has been recalibrated while on the dyno & it still revs around 1700 -1800 @ 70mph in OD.
Speaking of tuned, did you send your PCM to WAIT4ME or PCMforLESS or where did you send it to? Also, what did it run you?

Old 03-21-2012, 11:42 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

can i get the 1st gen pcm tuned ? i always wondered

Old 03-22-2012, 09:47 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by tibby
Speaking of tuned, did you send your PCM to WAIT4ME or PCMforLESS or where did you send it to? Also, what did it run you?
Ed About Wolf Performance Engineering
Made a program & then plugged into the OBII port & tuned it in real time on the dyno.

Quick Reply: Need lifting help to clear 33's