Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Lifting Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lifting-tech-44/)
-   -   Simple question..I think. (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lifting-tech-44/simple-question-i-think-67754/)

Little Roober 02-07-2012 02:29 PM

Simple question..I think.

Say I cranked up the torsion bars and put in a differential drop bracket...Would that solve the harsh CV angles and keep wear to stock standards? Would anything else still wear out faster?

97cherryblazer 02-07-2012 02:33 PM

yep thats the point of the differential drop bracket, and i think the CV angles are all you have to worry about when you do something like that so the drop bracket solves that

Little Roober 02-07-2012 02:50 PM

So then in theory, I could crank them all the way up and put in the diff. bracket..Then throw in the shackles and get 2" +/- all around?

97cherryblazer 02-07-2012 03:14 PM

yeah as long as its a 2 inch drop bracket. any size would help but yeah that should work

pettyfog 02-07-2012 03:28 PM

I dont do any of that crap but hasnt someone forgotten about suspension geometry, here?

Little Roober 02-07-2012 03:52 PM

Would you care to explain?

j89lumaye 02-07-2012 06:53 PM

You got it all wrong here
You put in the diff drop brackets so you dont have to crank the t bars up
So say you buy the RC 2.5 lift kit. You get 2 inch shackles in back, then 2.5 up front. You can also crank your bars then, which would give you up to 5.5 up front, but that would be when you wear out cv's and everything

Little Roober 02-07-2012 07:09 PM

I thought the Diff. drop leveled out the cv angles when the torsion bars were cranked? Putting in just the drop bracket wouldn't raise it...?

warthogdriver 02-07-2012 07:29 PM

Take a look at the bds suspension lift pdf. Look at the brackets in the kit.
Its not overly complicated so it should help ya see whats going on with the kit.
I installed mine and the cv's are level. Now granted they also give you hardware to relocate the control arms as well.

Chuk Rhodes 02-07-2012 08:29 PM

I've been looking into this a lot, and am fairly good with mechanical things, so here's my take :

Aside from a body lift, any lift in the front will change the suspension geometry. This will cause :

1) Added stress on the CV joints as they have a greater angle on them. Lowering the diff compensates for that angle.

2) Added stress on the ball joints. The upper control arm kits help solve this, as well as camber problems with bigger lifts. I've also been reading about the "ball joint flip", and spacers, which should do the same correction as the new control arm. I'm going to try this before spending a lot on a new arm.

If you crank the t-bars, you will get lift, and you will get a stiffer ride. That should also put more stress on the t-bars. I've cranked mine a little, and like the stiffness - I think it was sagging a little before. But I want to go back down a little on the bars for ride quality, and get some more lift, so it's new arm or ball joint spacers.

I do plan to set the t-bars for ride quality, not ride height. Then see how much more lift I want. Need some more testing before I change it again.

The lower arm WILL be at a new angle after lift, and that could cause more stress at mounting points (bushings and ball joints).

Rear lift shouldn't effect much, it's mostly steering related.

I personally think a bit of this is over rated concerns here. If you add lift so you can do a lot of serious off roading, you're probably driving it outside of it's intended/designed specs anyways, so things will fail.

If you're going to mod it, be ready to repair it!