Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

START HERE - lift kit list

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 10:00 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Freewheel
For 3,200+ bucks, it looks great!

Old 10-21-2018, 10:25 PM
Beginning Member
twiggss is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by N. Jensen
For 3,200+ bucks, it looks great!
and that's not even the whole price. You still have to buy other parts.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:30 AM
Beginning Member
Docarch is on a distinguished road
Question Leveling Kit

From all your experiences, hands down, what is the best, high quality leveling kit for a 1999 Chevrolet Blazer, 4WD, Automatic, 4 Door?

I really do not want to lift this vehicle a lot like my Jeep. I just want to level it out so the newer tires will not rub on the front wheel mud flaps when we make a sharp turn. We had to change the size of our tires slightly due to local availability of tire sizes & costs. Now, when making sharp turns, the front tires rub slightly on the mud flaps. No damage occurs & you cannot even tell they have rubbed when looking at the rigid flaps, but you can feel it. The tire shop said we should do this.

Thank you

Old 12-02-2018, 08:29 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I could be wrong, but when I was searching for my lift kit, I found a lot of positive from rough country. I got a 2.5 at the moment, but I do plan on a 6" down the road if she lives that long.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:43 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Docarch
From all your experiences, hands down, what is the best, high quality leveling kit for a 1999 Chevrolet Blazer, 4WD, Automatic, 4 Door?

I really do not want to lift this vehicle a lot like my Jeep. I just want to level it out so the newer tires will not rub on the front wheel mud flaps when we make a sharp turn. We had to change the size of our tires slightly due to local availability of tire sizes & costs. Now, when making sharp turns, the front tires rub slightly on the mud flaps. No damage occurs & you cannot even tell they have rubbed when looking at the rigid flaps, but you can feel it. The tire shop said we should do this.

Thank you

Here is a point of reference that might help:

I did not want to cut up the front axle attachment to lower it as is required for the Rough Country 2.5" kit. My route was to replace the rear shackles, do a torsion bar crank and add the upper control arms from the Rough Country 2.5" lift kit. When test fitting tires at the local shop, we found that the 31x10.5 tires would hit the frame when the steering wheel was turned hard-over so I went with the 30x9.5's. Also with 31's there can be interference of the tire with the front inner fender.

I have a thread on what I did linked below in my sig file.

This might or might not affect you: If you have the ZW7 "Premium Ride" suspension, it comes with special self-leveling shocks that are paired with special rear springs. So to keep my original shocks and not have to get new springs, I added spacers to the shock mounts.

So far the lift has been hassle-free expect for the inner lip of the inner CV boots on each side slipping or almost slipping off. I attributed this to the the almost 20 y.o. CV boot material not being very flexible an able to deal with the new angle of the CV joints. It could be or could not be related but I had to replace the left-side output shaft seal on the front differential too.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:04 AM
Freewheel is on a distinguished road

Thank you
I guess you have the usual rear sittin' low issue? Might help with a pair of add-a-leafs in the rear and if your t-bars are a bit saggy just crank them back up to the correct height? I had a - 95 once with self levelling rear which responded nicely to a bit of cranking 😉
And btw, would help to know what size of tires you have? 😉
Seems like everything beyond 30x9.5 rubs without lift, and if you look at 33s you need a massive lift because GM bought the tools to make wheel housings from hondas old civic line.... 😉😉

Old 12-03-2018, 05:22 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by christine_208
Here is a point of reference that might help:

I did not want to cut up the front axle attachment to lower it as is required for the Rough Country 2.5" kit. My route was to replace the rear shackles, do a torsion bar crank and add the upper control arms from the Rough Country 2.5" lift kit. When test fitting tires at the local shop, we found that the 31x10.5 tires would hit the frame when the steering wheel was turned hard-over so I went with the 30x9.5's. Also with 31's there can be interference of the tire with the front inner fender.

I have a thread on what I did linked below in my sig file.

This might or might not affect you: If you have the ZW7 "Premium Ride" suspension, it comes with special self-leveling shocks that are paired with special rear springs. So to keep my original shocks and not have to get new springs, I added spacers to the shock mounts.

So far the lift has been hassle-free expect for the inner lip of the inner CV boots on each side slipping or almost slipping off. I attributed this to the the almost 20 y.o. CV boot material not being very flexible an able to deal with the new angle of the CV joints. It could be or could not be related but I had to replace the left-side output shaft seal on the front differential too.
Christine,
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it. I remember that our suspension was not the standard stock when we got it, but I don't remember if it was premium or not. I can say the shocks are not original, but I will not get into the issue I had with the folks that installed the replacements, so we had better not go there today. I will research some more & hopefully your ideas will help.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:28 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Freewheel
I guess you have the usual rear sittin' low issue? Might help with a pair of add-a-leafs in the rear and if your t-bars are a bit saggy just crank them back up to the correct height? I had a - 95 once with self levelling rear which responded nicely to a bit of cranking 😉
And btw, would help to know what size of tires you have? 😉
Seems like everything beyond 30x9.5 rubs without lift, and if you look at 33s you need a massive lift because GM bought the tools to make wheel housings from hondas old civic line.... 😉😉
Freewheeler,
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it. I am going to research your thoughts & double check the tires. I cannot remember the new tires size right off hand. I know that they were just slightly taller if I remember correctly as the original tires would have had to be special ordered & cost more so we went with these. We like them, but thee is just that little rubbing issue on the mud flaps when making a sharp turn.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:48 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Christine,
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it. I remember that our suspension was not the standard stock when we got it, but I don't remember if it was premium or not. I can say the shocks are not original, but I will not get into the issue I had with the folks that installed the replacements, so we had better not go there today. I will research some more & hopefully your ideas will help.
Here is a concise description of the ZW7 suspension that I found useful:
"Premium Smooth Ride: indicated by the RPO code ZW7. This suspension uses a conventional suspension in the front, but the rear uses a self-contained, self-leveling Nivomat shock in the rear. ZW7 equipped trucks come with a softer spring in the rear since the Nivomat self-leveling system does some of the work of holding the truck up. Replacing a ZW7 Nivomat unit with a standard shock requires also replacing the spring, otherwise the truck will sag in the rear and have a much harsher ride and potentially dangerous handling."
(https://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/...on-decoder.cfm)

Good Luck!

Old 01-03-2019, 02:07 PM
Freewheel is on a distinguished road
Default Pro comp add a leafs

Finally got my rear helper springs (pro comp 13120) in place, so now the rear's in the sky!
No not really, but its a bit annoying that it never is levelled out, and my front end is spot-on rough countrys recommended measures, but ill have to yank them bars a bit more!

Quick Reply: START HERE - lift kit list