Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Lifting Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lifting-tech-44/)
-   -   Zr2 lift kit help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lifting-tech-44/zr2-lift-kit-help-95906/)

Syrus 12-12-2017 10:14 AM

Zr2 lift kit help

Ok so I've been doing a bunch of research and I'm up again a wall. I have a 99 zr2 (I think... not labeled but all signs point to it) and I'm looking for a lift kit... I was looking at a bds 5 inch but someone I know ordered it for her truck and was incomplete because some of it is discontinued... although she is getting her rc 6 inch modded for her zr2 s10. But apparently it won' work for a 2 door blazer... I know why it won' work for the zr2 but why won' it work for the 2dr blazers... rc said something about gas tank location but wasn't helpfull after that. Anyone on here lift a zr2? I wanna get 33's on it and I will be off road with it so I do need some extra clearance... I will do a body lift if that' all I can do but I wanna do day long treks in it

christine_208 12-12-2017 12:13 PM

As for if you truck is a ZR2 or not, shouldn't you be able to tell from the list of RPO codes on the label on the inside face of the glove compartment door?

From a copy of the 1999 Blazer sales literature, below is the description of the ZR2 option. Perhaps it will give a clue as to the fitment issues with the different lift kits.

Also, are you doing only a suspension lift and/or a body lift?

ZR2: WIDE STANCE, SPORT PERFORMANCE: (CT10516 Only) (Incls Unique Revised Frame for Wide Tread. Front Tread 61.2" is 3.9" Wider than Standard. Rear Tread 59.1" is 3.9" Wider Than Standard. Unique Strengthened Front Differential Gears and Drive Axles. Unique Rear Axle with 8.5" Ring Gear, Larger Whl Bearings and Longer, Larger Diam. Axle Shafts. Unique Rear Suspension with Revised Multi-Leaf Springs and Added Rear Axle Track Bar. Unique 28mm vs 25mm dia. Front Stabiliizer Bar, 46mm Bilstein Gas Pressurized Shock Absorbers. ZM5 Underbody Shields. Modified Jack and Spare Tire Stowage Winch. Body is 3" higher than Std (Reqs YC3 Decor. GT4 Axle, G80 Locking Differential, QJJ t res, & ZY1 Solid Paint) (N/A 1SA/1SB) (N/A Z82 Trailering)

CT10516 = 2dr/4wd
ZM5 = SHIELD PACKAGE: (4 x 4 Only) (Incls Transfer Case & Front Differential Skid Plates: FueI Tank & Steering Linkage Shield) (lncl w/ZR2 Suspension Package)
YC3 = 2dr LS trim package
GT4 = 3.73 rear axle, 7.62” ring gear
G80 = Locking differential
QJJ = Tires, 31 x 10.SR-IS B/W
ZY1 = Solid paint
1SA/1SB = Base 2dr
Z82 = TRAILERING SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: Heavy Duly (N/A ZR2 Suspension) (Incls Weight Distribution Hitch Platform) (CS105*6 Reqs GU4/GU6 Axle. M30 Trans)
CS105*6 = 2wd

newguy 12-12-2017 12:37 PM

It says zr2 on the rpo in the glove box. it has zr2 in the fenderwell, and came stock with 31 inch tires. Easiest way to tell

oldeerslayer 12-12-2017 06:04 PM

It will also have sticker on the firewall behind the distributor that has ZR2 on it. The jack has ZR2 on it because it is a higher lift than standard 4wd.

Syrus 12-13-2017 12:01 AM

Ok... well with it coming stock with 31's... having a factory lift an wide stance as well as 8.5 inch rear crown I'm pretty sure it' a zr2... what I need to know is there a suspension lift kit out there for the zr2... looking for a few inches so I can get bigger tires on it and not worry about it out on trails... or what people call trails around here..

newguy 12-13-2017 02:56 AM

you need to know for sure first

oldeerslayer 12-13-2017 08:10 AM

Having rolled a 2 door blazer it's just my humble opinion (I know - every body has one) that a ZR2 blazer raised an additional 5 or 6 inches is simply a rollover looking for a place to happen.
When the CG gets that high on a short wheelbase vehicle you're just asking for trouble. Not to mention be a PITA to drive.

christine_208 12-13-2017 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Syrus (Post 683675)
Ok... well with it coming stock with 31's... having a factory lift an wide stance as well as 8.5 inch rear crown I'm pretty sure it' a zr2... what I need to know is there a suspension lift kit out there for the zr2... looking for a few inches so I can get bigger tires on it and not worry about it out on trails... or what people call trails around here..

But does your RPO codes sticker include ZR2? You will want to be certain before putting money into any lift kit. If the sticker is missing, you can use online look-up tools to find the RPO codes that came with your vehicle by using the VIN.

Syrus 12-13-2017 07:45 PM

Yea it does.. but even still who makes a lift kit for the zr2 blazer and has anyone lifted one without just a body lift??

christine_208 12-13-2017 08:06 PM

OK. You have a ZR2. (Congrats on having one by the way! :) )

So have you contacted the manufacturers by email or phone and asked them your questions? Rough Country and Superlift are the first two that come to mind.

When I did my 2" lift, I used only the RC upper control arms and separately sourced shorter rear shackles since I was not doing the full 2.5" lift. I tried to use the RC rear antisway-bar relocation brackets but with them installed I could not install my spare tire underneath so I had to remove them.

You are interested in a much higher suspension lift but my experience might illustrate how only one of a kit's components could be a problem depending on your application.

newguy 12-14-2017 03:01 AM

Why not just do a solid axle swap?

oldeerslayer 12-14-2017 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by newguy (Post 683754)
Why not just do a solid axle swap?

I like the word JUST ! :rolleyes:

derrick 426 02-22-2018 10:17 PM

tracks

hello new to this group i just bought a 2004 blazer zr2 and put a set of tracks on it thinking the factory lift would be enough lift but it wasnt i trimmed as much body off as i would like to now its a body lift time i just need something for the back as it will see maybe 40 mph here and there but not to often mainley 20 to 30 or even less in powder snow its just to get me to the iceshack for fishing and cruising in the back country will not see highway speeds ever again looking for a way to lift the back 2 - 3 inches for clearance tracks are rubbing

christine_208 02-23-2018 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by derrick 426 (Post 687154)
hello new to this group i just bought a 2004 blazer zr2 and put a set of tracks on it thinking the factory lift would be enough lift but it wasnt i trimmed as much body off as i would like to now its a body lift time i just need something for the back as it will see maybe 40 mph here and there but not to often mainley 20 to 30 or even less in powder snow its just to get me to the iceshack for fishing and cruising in the back country will not see highway speeds ever again looking for a way to lift the back 2 - 3 inches for clearance tracks are rubbing

Ideally you should introduce yourself in the New Members forum. Tell us about you and your rig. Then to get the help and advice you want, you should start a new thread. And if you can post pictures, that's even better! Welcome to the group!

2drblazrunner 06-11-2023 04:25 AM

[QUOTE=christine_208;683646]As for if you truck is a ZR2 or not, shouldn't you be able to tell from the list of RPO codes on the label on the inside face of the glove compartment door?

From a copy of the 1999 Blazer sales literature, below is the description of the ZR2 option. Perhaps it will give a clue as to the fitment issues with the different lift kits.

Also, are you doing only a suspension lift and/or a body lift?

ZR2: WIDE STANCE, SPORT PERFORMANCE: (CT10516 Only) (Incls Unique Revised Frame for Wide Tread. Front Tread 61.2" is 3.9" Wider than Standard. Rear Tread 59.1" is 3.9" Wider Than Standard. Unique Strengthened Front Differential Gears and Drive Axles. Unique Rear Axle with 8.5" Ring Gear, Larger Whl Bearings and Longer, Larger Diam. Axle Shafts. Unique Rear Suspension with Revised Multi-Leaf Springs and Added Rear Axle Track Bar. Unique 28mm vs 25mm dia. Front Stabiliizer Bar, 46mm Bilstein Gas Pressurized Shock Absorbers. ZM5 Underbody Shields. Modified Jack and Spare Tire Stowage Winch. Body is 3" higher than Std (Reqs YC3 Decor. GT4 Axle, G80 Locking Differential, QJJ t res, & ZY1 Solid Paint) (N/A 1SA/1SB) (N/A Z82 Trailering)

CT10516 = 2dr/4wd
ZM5 = SHIELD PACKAGE: (4 x 4 Only) (Incls Transfer Case & Front Differential Skid Plates: FueI Tank & Steering Linkage Shield) (lncl w/ZR2 Suspension Package)
YC3 = 2dr LS trim package
GT4 = 3.73 rear axle, 7.62” ring gear
G80 = Locking differential
QJJ = Tires, 31 x 10.SR-IS B/W
ZY1 = Solid paint
1SA/1SB = Base 2dr
Z82 = TRAILERING SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: Heavy Duly (N/A ZR2 Suspension) (Incls Weight Distribution Hitch Platform) (CS105*6 Reqs GU4/GU6 Axle. M30 Trans)
CS105*6
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/blazerf...ecd303a665.jpg
Does this mean mines a ZR2? It doesnt have the stamped wells but does have the ZR2 code on the firewall as well?

El_Beautor 06-12-2023 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by 2drblazrunner (Post 748901)
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/blazerf...ecd303a665.jpg
Does this mean mines a ZR2? It doesnt have the stamped wells but does have the ZR2 code on the firewall as well?

Yes, with that RPO, you have a ZR2.

minengr 10-19-2023 11:55 AM

It seems that Superlift and BDS have both discontinued their lifts. Does anyone know of another option besides Rough Country? Getting ready to start restoring my 01 and I'd really like to put a lift on it.