Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Lifting Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lifting-tech-44/)
-   -   ZR2 torsion bars on 1st Gen. Work or not? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lifting-tech-44/zr2-torsion-bars-1st-gen-work-not-84407/)

Muddigger86 02-15-2014 10:44 AM

ZR2 torsion bars on 1st Gen. Work or not?

Will they fit? Has Anyone tried this?

Captain Hook 02-15-2014 06:57 PM

Torsion bars are computer picked as the vehicle is being assembled. It's calculated by vehicle weight, and its distribution. Identical vehicles, other than one has A/C and one does not, use different torsion bars. Bring your RPO code list to a GM dealer, they can tell you if they are the correct bars. My guess is they are not interchangable.

versechorusverse 02-16-2014 12:31 AM

I know someone put colorado tbars on their zr2 when they put the reallift tbar relocaters on. If 2nd gen tbars fit first gens I don't see why not, they will have a different spring rate so they might be stiffer or softer IDK you might be able to put different shocks on so you dont feel it.

Muddigger86 02-17-2014 08:05 AM

Thanks guys I was just wandering. So if i were to want a little more lift out of them that I might use them if they were stronger or stiffer.

Captain Hook 02-17-2014 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you're looking to raise the body for tire clearance, adjusting the torsion bars is not the way to do it. Adjusting the torsion bars changes front chassis ride height, (suspension ride height), and the body will raise or lower as a result. If it's out of spec, you'll end up with premature wear on steering and suspension parts, (ball joints, shocks, outer tie rod ends, CV joints etc). If you need tire clearance, you need to raise the body, not the suspension. To do it properly, you'll need a good quality body lift kit.

Front chassis ride height spec is 4.6" to 5.0" with 4.8" being desired. The entire vehicle must be on a level surface, with all 4 wheels on the ground. Measure straight down to the ground from each point. Subtract the steering knuckle measurement from the pivot bolt measurement. The result is front chassis ride height. Whenever front chassis ride height is adjusted, (even a little bit) a front end alignment is necessary afterwards.

Attachment 31396

Muddigger86 02-18-2014 07:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Captain Hook (Post 619014)
If you're looking to raise the body for tire clearance, adjusting the torsion bars is not the way to do it. Adjusting the torsion bars changes front chassis ride height, (suspension ride height), and the body will raise or lower as a result. If it's out of spec, you'll end up with premature wear on steering and suspension parts, (ball joints, shocks, outer tie rod ends, CV joints etc). If you need tire clearance, you need to raise the body, not the suspension. To do it properly, you'll need a good quality body lift kit.

Front chassis ride height spec is 4.6" to 5.0" with 4.8" being desired. The entire vehicle must be on a level surface, with all 4 wheels on the ground. Measure straight down to the ground from each point. Subtract the steering knuckle measurement from the pivot bolt measurement. The result is front chassis ride height. Whenever front chassis ride height is adjusted, (even a little bit) a front end alignment is necessary afterwards.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/attach...ine=1392730950

Thanks captain. I am aware of all that also. Just looking into a stronger tbar. If there is such an animal. I am aware of the consequences tho. Its just a beater/daily driver. I drive 3 miles to work and back so I'm not so worried about the wear issues. Just looking into some options. The body lift is one of those options. may do that if I step up to 34's or 35's with a little hammer action also of course to the inner fenders.

Captain Hook 02-18-2014 03:37 PM

Cool. Just passing along info ;) Let us know how it turns out.

Diaita 02-18-2014 04:30 PM

I can't think of a reason to increase the spring rate in the front of a Blazer, but if the ZR2 bars lower the spring rate, that'd be sweet!

Measure the diameter of the body of the torsion bar to see if it's similar in diameter. Bigger = stiffer, smaller = softer.