Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Lighting & Electrical (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighting-electrical-52/)
-   -   '02 Blazer Electric Mirror Switch (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighting-electrical-52/02-blazer-electric-mirror-switch-101966/)

Walleye Hunter 07-13-2020 10:20 AM

'02 Blazer Electric Mirror Switch

My new to me Blazer seems to have a bad electric mirror switch. It doesn't work in the left direction for either side and that is what makes me think it's the switch. It's not a major issue but if it's an easy fix I would do it. Can the switch be taken apart and cleaned up? Are they easy to R&R either for repair or replacement?

Thanks

DonL 07-13-2020 10:47 AM

They are easy to take out, they are able to open and cleaned(but I haven't done it myself). The biggest problem with them is that when it rains and the window is open a crack, drops tend to land right on that entire switch part.

christine_208 07-13-2020 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter (Post 724532)
My new to me Blazer seems to have a bad electric mirror switch. It doesn't work in the left direction for either side and that is what makes me think it's the switch. It's not a major issue but if it's an easy fix I would do it. Can the switch be taken apart and cleaned up? Are they easy to R&R either for repair or replacement?

Thanks

I have taken apart some of the electrical components but not that sprcific one.

If you cannot get a replacement, eithet new or used, my advice would be to be careful with the disassemby as these tend to be assembled by bring snapped together and the plastic tabs can break.

Also do any disassembly over a surface that will catch any small pieces that come out like springs and loose metal contacts.

Walleye Hunter 07-13-2020 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by christine_208 (Post 724535)
I have taken apart some of the electrical components but not that sprcific one.

If you cannot get a replacement, eithet new or used, my advice would be to be careful with the disassemby as these tend to be assembled by bring snapped together and the plastic tabs can break.

Also do any disassembly over a surface that will catch any small pieces that come out like springs and loose metal contacts.

I know what you're saying! Thanks. Does the whole plate just pop up with a pull? It looks like it must.

blazen_red_4x4 07-13-2020 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by DonL (Post 724534)
The biggest problem with them is that when it rains and the window is open a crack, drops tend to land right on that entire switch part.

this, or the door hinge bushings are shot, the door sags, and then EVERY time it rains water drips down onto it...

I've pulled multiple of them apart to clean the contacts and have had some success. But yes be very gentle when opening the switch up. It's very easy to crack the plastic housing, at which point it will not securely snap back together anymore...

Just grab the window switch assembly around the front of it (near the mirror switch area) and give it a pull upwards. It'll pop out of the door panel. The mirror adjustment switch is a separate assembly that's snapped into the bezel. You can unplug and pop it out and work on it without unplugging and removing the entire window switch.