Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Alarm problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 05:25 PM
Dwights is on a distinguished road
Default Alarm problem

December 9, 2019

A car alarm problem

I am having a problem with my alarm system on my 2000 Chevy Blazer.

It started out at only one location. What would happen is that I would lock the car with the key fob, go into a place that I was visiting, then come out about an hour and a half later and try to open the car with the key fob. The horn would start blowing, sounding like someone is breaking into the car! When I would press the “unlock” button over and over, nothing would stop the loud honking of the horn. I couldn’t start the car either. The only thing that would stop the honking is if I would open the hood and disconnect the battery cable, and that would stop it. Then I could reconnect the battery cable and get back into my car and start the car, and everything would be fine.

Initially, this only happened at that particular initial location. More recently, however, it started happening at other locations, and then it happened at my house, where it had never happened before.

When it first started happening, I thought that it might be a defective key fob. Maybe the battery was low. So I replaced the battery. That did not make a difference at that initial location. Then I thought that maybe the key fob was defective, so I purchased another one. That didn’t cure the problem. Still, for several weeks it was only happening at that initial location. Now it seems that it can happen anywhere, and it is unpredictable. I have had to leave my car unlocked recently, just to avoid that problem. I hate doing that, because I don’t want my car stolen, or anything in it taken. I hope that someone has some insight on what needs to be done to cure this problem.

Old 12-10-2019, 12:24 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

If you lock the doors manually, does it still happen?

Old 12-10-2019, 01:57 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Some cars and trucks, if you turn the key in the door to unlock 2 times in a row, it will turn off the alarm.

not picking at anything, but when I first started reading this thread, I thought it was someone's diary lol

Old 12-10-2019, 06:08 PM

Well, I tried locking the Blazer from the door lock. Went o.k. Then opened the car door with the key. Sat down in the driver's side to start the car and before I could even put the key in the ignition the horn started blaring. Thanks for trying to help me solve this problem!

Old 12-11-2019, 05:54 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

When the alarms is going off, did you try turning the key 2 times in a row? Or did you just use it to get in?

Old 12-11-2019, 07:21 PM

What I have done is what I always used to do. Namely, pressing the "unlock" on the key fob, and that would open the doors and I could then get in and start the car. However, what is happening now is that when I press the "unlock" on the key fob, it sounds the alarm and the only thing that will stop the alarm blaring is if I disconnect the battery. Then I can reconnect the battery and then can start the car with my key.
When you said, "did you try turning the key 2 times in a row", did you mean in the ignition switch? If that is what you meant, I think that I did, but nothing seemed to work.