Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

98 blazer ls with no back up lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 04:42 PM
nbguide is on a distinguished road
Default 98 blazer ls with no back up lights

No back up lights. I tried going slow through the gears to see if they'll light up and nothing. Is there a fuse for just the back up lights? Is there a connector or sensor by the transmission? I've seen screw in sensors for manual transmissions but can find nothing for automatic transmission? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Key ON, engine OFF, transmission in reverse: In the underhood fuse panel, check both terminals of "B/U LP 25 amp fuse" and both terminals of "VEH B/U 15 amp fuse". Do not remove the fuses when testing, probe the two visible terminals on the top of each fuse. They should each show battery voltage.

Key ON, engine OFF, transmission in reverse: At the B/U lamp sockets, remove the bulbs: One terminal should show battery voltage, and the other should show less than 5 ohms resistance to ground.

Post your results.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:57 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

cap, you are the killer with info man... always blows me away.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:36 AM

Thanks Captain. I'll do those things when this rain ends. Appreciate it.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:56 AM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Key ON, engine OFF, transmission in reverse: In the underhood fuse panel, check both terminals of "B/U LP 25 amp fuse" and both terminals of "VEH B/U 15 amp fuse". Do not remove the fuses when testing, probe the two visible terminals on the top of each fuse. They should each show battery voltage.

Key ON, engine OFF, transmission in reverse: At the B/U lamp sockets, remove the bulbs: One terminal should show battery voltage, and the other should show less than 5 ohms resistance to ground.

Post your results.
remember the good old days when you would just replace the switch

Old 06-08-2013, 12:32 PM

I checked the fuses and there is no voltage to the fuses. Where's the problem?

Old 06-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If no back up lights is the ONLY problem you're having, the cause is inside the underhood fuse panel.

The easiest way to repair it is to run a jumper wire outside the fuse panel to supply the circuit with voltage. You'll need two fuse taps, two female 1/4" spade terminals, and a piece of 14ga wire:

Step one: Remove the "B/U LP" 25 amp fuse. The tap must be connected to the un-fused side of the "B/U LP" fuse socket. To determine which socket is un-fused: Key ON, engine OFF, transmission in reverse: run a temporary jumper wire from battery positive to each B/U LP fuse socket. One socket will light the B/U lights, and one socket will do nothing. The fuse tap must go to the socket that does nothing. Install the B/U LP fuse and fuse tap.

Step two: Locate the IGN E fuse and remove it. Ignition in the RUN position, probe both sockets of the IGN E fuse. One will have battery voltage, (one will show zero volts). Insert the other fuse tap in the socket that shows battery voltage, reinstall the IGN E fuse. Make up a 14 gauge jumper wire with a female 1/4" spade connector on each end. Connect the two fuse taps. Done.

Attached Thumbnails 98 blazer ls with no back up lights-fusetap_zpse72139da.jpg  
Old 06-08-2013, 06:05 PM

Thank you!! I will try this and would never have gotten there on my own. Thanks again.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:12 PM

Piece of cake, no problem Let us know how it goes.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:59 PM

Back up lights are working again. Thanks. I also added some Walmart platinum burner 2.5" round lights to the back bumper for extra light out in the woods. Thanks again Captain.

Quick Reply: 98 blazer ls with no back up lights