Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Lighting & Electrical (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighting-electrical-52/)
-   -   Dash Lights/Interior Lights (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighting-electrical-52/dash-lights-interior-lights-54885/)

greendouglash 01-31-2011 09:12 PM

Dash Lights/Interior Lights

I bought this truck from a guy I work with and it was stolen from him and he just ran out of time to work on it and sold it to me for cheap. I got the engine running smooth, but I'm trying to figure out the wiring for the dash. I've traced the wires and it seems like everything is where it is supposed to be as far as the wiring diagram for the dash illumination lights go. There is a gray wire running from the fuse box to the instrument cluster for the lights, and then a black ground. The dark green wire runs from the fuse box to the light switch/headlight switch. My headlights work, but my dash lights don't work at all and I can't brighten/dim them. There is a solid brown wire coming from the back of the light switch that is not connected to anything, but I can't see where it would connect up to. I could use some help here. Thanks.

Gimpy Blazer 01-31-2011 09:53 PM

I guess the No. 1 question is do you have power to the dimmer? This would probably be the brown wire. It's supposed to be connected to a splice (S202) located below the left side of the I/P above the fuse block. There are other brown wires and a brown/white resistor wire. This comes off your light swotch (not the dimmer). Hope this helps. From your description it sounds like the brown wire is your problem. Keep us up to speed.

greendouglash 02-01-2011 05:17 AM

I will check into the brown wire tonight when I get off of work. The brown/white wire coming into the lights switch is connected, but I'll look into where that solid brown wire is supposed to be.

Gimpy Blazer 02-01-2011 05:52 AM

If it comes out of the switch it goes to the splice. The brown/white wire is a "resistor" wire.

greendouglash 02-01-2011 06:43 PM

Ok, you said if it comes out of the switch then it goes to the splice but which one? I'm trying to figure out if maybe the guy I bought it from wired something up wrong. I'm going to end up pulling the dash frame out and labeling the wires with my schematic before this is over with.

Gimpy Blazer 02-02-2011 03:33 PM

The number of the splice is S202 if that does you any good. What manual are you working out of? I use the Factory Manual that shows all of that stuff.

greendouglash 02-02-2011 04:12 PM

I'm just using a Haynes manual for "Chevy & GMC Pick-ups 1967 thru 1987 and 1967 thru 1991 Blazer & Jimmy". Tonight I'm gonna fix my flat tire, and then pull the dash frame out so that I can start looking at the wires.

Gimpy Blazer 02-03-2011 12:22 AM

Is this a full size or a S type. If it's a full size there are others that can help you out. I can't.

greendouglash 02-03-2011 05:13 AM

Yeah, this is a full size type. Sorry I should've said that to begin with.