Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

First gen reverse lights - not always working

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 12:56 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about
Default First gen reverse lights - not always working

This has been a problem since I got the truck, was also a "problem" in my previous 94, and I was never able to figure it out, and really, put it on the back burner since its not a huge problem...
but now that I have new LED reverse lights that are real bright, I would like them to work.
So what could cause this problem?
I have tried wigging the lever up and down (column shift) and that did not work, what I did find to work, was when I move the lever front to back, is when it will start to work (the shift lever that is)
I just had the column apart, I could do it again if absolutely needed, but I dont want to LOL

With that being said, where would the "reverse light switch" be located on a first gen?

Last edited by richphotos; 09-25-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:41 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

im so out of practice on these older s10s. i dont think they have the range sensor on the transmission, should still be on the column above the brake pedal. a lot of my older trucks they never seem to line up right, like if i go from park to reverse they dont come on i have to move the shifter up towards park a bit to get them to come on.

its probably that sensor on top of the column, ive seen them as ive replaced many columns but never had one go completely bad where i had to change it

Old 09-25-2013, 07:15 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

wiggling the shifter up and down does not get them to come on, when I pull the shift lever towards me is when they come on. Which makes me think its the reverse light switch...
The reverse light switch is located in the column? where abouts, there is no photo of this in my repair manual.
( I have the 4l60e tranny btw)

Old 09-25-2013, 07:20 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Richard,
its down on the bottom of the column. on top. white slight u shaped sensor. as you move the shift lever etc it moves a flat shaft (hidden in the column,dont look for it) which moves that sensor. if the sensors broke,lights go poo.

If i remember correctly you just unplug the sensor,and there is a tab on each end that you press towards the center and it'll pop off.

(read your pms. douche lol)

Old 09-25-2013, 08:56 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by chris015
Richard,
its down on the bottom of the column. on top. white slight u shaped sensor. as you move the shift lever etc it moves a flat shaft (hidden in the column,dont look for it) which moves that sensor. if the sensors broke,lights go poo.

If i remember correctly you just unplug the sensor,and there is a tab on each end that you press towards the center and it'll pop off.

(read your pms. douche lol)
I have no PM's you feminine hygiene product LOL

The bottom of the column on top? whaaa? that is like saying "its to the left of the right
and looking at the reverse light switch on napas site... it threads into something, so there is no popping off of anything but the connector... ? unless I am looking at something completely different.

backup lamp switch

Attached Thumbnails First gen reverse lights - not always working-si_ls205_front.jpg  

Last edited by richphotos; 09-25-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Now now children!! Sorry rich I got no help for ya on this one in just along for the ride lol!

Old 09-25-2013, 09:09 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Now now children!! Sorry rich I got no help for ya on this one in just along for the ride lol!
Its more of an annoyance than a problem, since I now have these super bright LED reverse lights, would be nice if they always came on LOL

Old 09-25-2013, 09:15 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

1983-1994 Chevy Blazer S10 5 Terminal Neutral Safety Switch at 1AAuto.com

this guy. drop the column ( 2 bolts) you'll see it at the bottom. 90% sure

edit: REsent you the pm i sent u yesterday.

Last edited by chris015; 09-25-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:18 PM
BF Veteran

oh the neutral safety switch!! gotcha!

Old 09-25-2013, 09:19 PM
BF Veteran

it does the reverse lights too.

(i scrapped one months ago with the old column.)

i need to start saving crap.

Quick Reply: First gen reverse lights - not always working