Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Gauge needles all wack

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:43 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough
Default Gauge needles all wack

So I installed a new gauge face today, and the MPH needle wasn't quite accurate, along with some other ones. So I tried fixing them...

Name:  5nvUNl.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  503 Bytes

What the heck do I do???
I can't drive like this, lawl.

Thanks in advance

Old 05-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Starting Member
wyzardd is on a distinguished road

Not sure if this will work with that year, but mine do that about a third of the time I disconnect the battery or the wires going to the instruments. Freaked me out the first time!
Anyway, I used to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and then it'd calibrate right after hooking it up again. Most recently I was in a hurry so just tried to drive with traffic and after a few miles all the gauges settled down again. I don't know if motion is necessary or just leaving the key on is enough.
And, like I said, I don't know if that'll work with yours and a new cluster. How long has it been hooked up? If it's been a day or so, I'm of no use to you.

ETA - Just re-read the OP, only the face is new? The guts are all the same? And you just did this today. So it's worth a try what I said - pull batt cable for a few minutes or let it run for a few (maybe drive carefully for a few)

Last edited by wyzardd; 05-10-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:57 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

yea he just changed the face. Ive been helping him with this . I also told him to reset it .

Hes going to try this tomorrow i guess

Old 05-11-2012, 01:08 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Ok for anyone that needs this info later I'm going to post the message I sent craig via PM.

Ok here is the fun part. You get to do it like I did it. (Ideally you would have drawn a sketch of where the gas and volt meter needles sit, but since you didn't know to do that, you get to guess on those.)

You need to turn your blazer to 'key on, engine off' with the dash still apart. You then set all of the gauges other than the gas and volt gauges to 0. (Don't just spin the needles to the correct spot, you need to pull the needle off and push it back on in the correct position.)

Then you need to try to remember where your gas gauge was before you pulled the needles and baisicly guess as to where it was and stick it on.

Then you can start the blazer and put on your voltmeter needle where it usually sits when it is running.

What I did was, I put the dash all back together exept for the plastic that covers the gauges, and adjusted the ones I noticed were off while I drove mine around for a while. (Really helpful for the gas gauge)

Good luck man.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:56 AM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

I got most of them working, but not all. And I don't know how accurate they are just yet. Here's what I did:
  1. Remove the needles (all of them).
  2. Plug gauge back into dash
  3. Start truck for a few seconds
  4. Turn truck off
  5. Put all needles back into their positions (I did rotate them a little, but I might try again taking Thogert's advice)
  6. Plug back in

The RPM and MPH seems to be working fine (I'm going to test the MPH at a later time by driving behind another car going 30mph, so I can see if my MPH needle is accurate). The OIL is a little higher then I remember it being, but is more accurate then it is in that top picture. The temp seems to work aswell, and I have no idea about voltage. The gas needle is wack, though, as it's sitting about 1/2" below "E" and I know it's full.

I'm going to try some of these new ideas! Thanks guys

Old 05-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Starting Member
wyzardd is on a distinguished road

Ah, I understand now. Sorry, none of what I said is at all relevant in this case

Old 05-11-2012, 03:27 PM
BF Veteran

No worries man! I might try that to, if all else fails. I need to learn how to disconnect the battery anyway

Old 05-11-2012, 04:21 PM
BF Veteran

Gauge Needles are WACK - 96 Blazer - YouTube

I believe all the needles are fine, at least for the most part. The Oil needle is wack, as seen in this video. The RPM is a bit high, I think. I could be wrong.

Last edited by CraigSnedeker; 05-11-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:26 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Yeah I'd try the reset thing. That's not a needle placement problem.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:20 PM
BF Veteran

It works, thank you everyone!

Taking the battery out (the negative) to reset it did the trick.