Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Best Car audio battery that will fit under the hood??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 04:06 AM
Starting Member
lionel2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best Car audio battery that will fit under the hood??

Hello All, I am looking into a new battery for under the hood of my 2000 chevy blazer 4dr 4x4 4.3L V6. I now have an optima Redtop group size 75/25. Looking to upgrade to a better battery. Looking at Optima yellow top, Kinectic 1400, Odyssey PC1230, or XS battery. Which one of these battery will fit in my tray with no modifications?? I need both side and top terminals. Sides to hook up stock cables and tops to hookup my big 3 upgrade wires. I have a DC Power alternator on the way via Fedex. Should be here in the next week or so. Would like a fresh battery under the hood first before I install the new HO alternator. My redtop i have now says it is good, but low charge. Either a bad cell or not charging. CCA is 525 and is rated at like CCA 770 or something like that. My volts on my head unit reads 13.0 to 13.2, no matter how much I drive my blazer the battery never fully charges. What you think is wrong? Thanks.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:08 AM
Starting Member

My sound system is 900w rms and 1800w max. Amp has 60A fuse. Single 15" sub ported. Sub rated at 1000w rms and 2000w max. Wired to 2 ohm load.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

Im running a Yellow Top with no tray modfication. As for the the charge issue. I would say the battery is on its way out.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Starting Member

which yellow top do you have?? The 75/25 size? I have a HO alternator that is on the way via Fedex. Not yet arrive. Should I install the new alternator first before getting the battery replaced?? Maybe installing the new HO alternator will solve my battery issues. Sound right or not? Or should I get the new battery installed first before installing the new alternator? Let me know, as I can go to the shop and get the battery I need tomorrow if needed. Thanks.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:03 PM

Without looking, I believe its the 34/78 model. Did you have the current alt tested by any chance?

Old 08-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Starting Member

Yes I did, Stock alternator is going bad. Not able to keep up with the demands my car needs. My Volts does not go any higher than 13.2V and I was told the battery has a bad cell and is not a deep cycle battery. Just a starter battery is the red top. Yellow tops are deep cycle batteries and I need one of them for what accessories my car has.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:25 PM

Yes thats correct. Looks like the only choice you have now is to replace the battery along with the new alt. You should notice a big difference.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Starting Member

One last Question, Just ordered a new 75/25 group size Optima Yellow Top from Advanced Auto Parts. I can pick it up first thing in the morning. They said on the phone that they will not be held liable for any damage to my sound system or any electrical. I have the big 3 upgrade with 1/0 AWG wiring, stock alt, and red top under the hood now. I think when they heard big 3 upgrade they wanna stay away from that and will refuse to install the yellow top for me. I mean I know how to install a battery. You think I should get the man at the auto parts store to do it for me or I do it myself?? And how do I recycle the old red top?? Let me double check--do install battery, first unbolt the negatives off the side and top terminals ( Big 3 upgrade wires are on top terminal) then unbolt the postives off the side and top terminal (Big 3 upgrade wire on top terminal). Then unbolt the hold down for battery, set aside that. Then lift out battery, replace with new battery. Attach positives and then attach negatives. Last bolt down hold down for battery and check to see if nice and snug. Piece of cake, the alternator will be a little bit harder than battery replacement. It cost me $12 to recycle battery, when I bring in old one, I guess they will credit me back the $12 and the bottom line is they sound like they might be unwilling to do the install. Man said bunch of liability issues. Might have to do it myself. We will see first thing tomorrow.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:47 PM

If they wont do it. Just do it yourself. Really nothing to it. Remove your negative first and then undo the rest. install in reverse order. Everything will go back in the same location as what is on the red top. As for recycling the old one. Scrap yards usually pay a few bucks for old bats. Might want to try that.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Starting Member

Got it!! Just gotta wait for the right day to do it myself. Will take old red top to scrap yard. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Best Car audio battery that will fit under the hood??