Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Help I have no idea whats wrong!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 08:09 AM
RoyceN is on a distinguished road
Default Help I have no idea whats wrong!!!!!!

I have a 97 Blazer and just the other day all the power was gone and it started to smoke I could not find any thing that night but the windows sun roof cruse control wipers blower motor did not work and the abs light was on the next day I looked no fuses where bad but I did find a fuse able wire that was burnt it was under a black cover on the driver side fender I hooked it back up and every thing worked but after a cupple min it burned right up in front of me. Whats going on with my truck? Help I put A few pics up of where i found the fuse able wire

Attached Thumbnails Help I have no idea whats wrong!!!!!!-wp_20130922_001%5B1%5D.jpg   Help I have no idea whats wrong!!!!!!-wp_20130922_002%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 09-23-2013, 10:00 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

You have a short somewhere in one of the units that don't work. Have you done any work to any of them lately? That would be a good place to start

Old 09-23-2013, 11:50 AM

The wipers only work when they want to and i was using them when it first happened someone did tell me to cleaned the ground to the fuse panel should i replace the wiper switch

Old 09-23-2013, 11:51 AM
burned is on a distinguished road

That is the junction box. Splits power from the alternator/generator to various circuits. Trace the wire that is burning up. Somewhere along the way a power wire is touching ground and over loading that circuit.

Below is a PDF of the wiring of the junction box.
97 power distribution

Old 09-23-2013, 12:00 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by burned
That is the junction box. Splits power from the alternator/generator to various circuits. Trace the wire that is burning up. Somewhere along the way a power wire is touching ground and over loading that circuit.

Below is a PDF of the wiring of the junction box.
97 power distribution

"How to fix burnt wires from a guy with the usernamed burned"

this is legit. LOL.

but yea like he said. you have a bare wire somewhere touching ground.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:02 PM
burned is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by RoyceN
The wipers only work when they want to and i was using them when it first happened someone did tell me to cleaned the ground to the fuse panel should i replace the wiper switch
Common problem with these vehicles is the wiper pulse control module. The circuit board for the wipers has crappy solder joints. To fix the wipers you either need to re solder the board where the joints have broken or replace it with an Ebay one. There is a DIY link on this site with info about that circuit board.

I do not believe this has anything to do with your wire burning up.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:05 PM

Thanks I appreciate it

Old 09-23-2013, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the help I found where the problem was right under the steering wheel fix the wires and problem solved

Old 09-23-2013, 11:36 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Can you give details on how you fixed it ect, for people who search in the future?
Thanks!

Old 09-24-2013, 09:20 AM

There where 2 wires that where cut into under the steering wheel that I think they go to the ignition switch. I think the steering wheel mount cut them. I tried to add a pic but cant.

Quick Reply: Help I have no idea whats wrong!!!!!!