Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

which hid kit is best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:19 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BlazinClinton
is that really what the DDM ballasts look like?
yup.

Originally Posted by BlazinClinton
as for where to stuff them. i put two on the soft plastic shrouding (one on either side)
and for my fog lights (which are beside my signal lights under the high beams) i stuck them to the back of the grill basically. i shoulda taken pics.
that was more of a joke to show how little it takes to install the systems. plus i think we all stuff the ballasts in the same spots anyways.

on a side note........i've always been warned about buying any of the systems with slim (digital) ballasts, as they tend to burn out way easier (than the HIDextra kits?).

Old 03-02-2011, 12:23 AM
POWERSTROKEN is on a distinguished road

I use 3M trim tape to stick the ballasts on something. Jim

Old 03-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Starting Member
BlazinClinton is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by old skool luvr

that was more of a joke to show how little it takes to install the systems. plus i think we all stuff the ballasts in the same spots anyways.

on a side note........i've always been warned about buying any of the systems with slim (digital) ballasts, as they tend to burn out way easier (than the HIDextra kits?).
sometimes things go over my head, im like 5'9" or something like that... give me some slack!

our ballasts arent any slimmer, but they just look... they seem like... i dunno... ill take a picture and you can tell me what you think. ill probably be doing an HID kit today, im doing a Road Armor bumper on a Toyota FJ... god know what else this guy is gonna want.

dont worry, ill take pictures. i always do. and im itchin and waitin and hoping that road armor or atleast Fab Fours will come out with a bumper for my Blazer! haha heavy as hell, but im sure i could beef things up a bit to hold it? hahaha wishin and hoping.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:46 PM

Off Topic. I have heard some very bad things about Road Armor the last couple years. Do a search. I have one of their winch bumpers on the front of my 2000 E350 4x4 van. Jim

Old 03-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Starting Member

the only things i saw were people complaining about shipping damage and what they thought wasnt complete welds and stuff. ive installed more road armor bumpers than any of the people complaining and the ONLY complaint i have with road armor is the bumper they made for the TOYOTA FJ!!

the nuts are in such a tight place that you get 1/12th of a turn, flip the wrench and get another 1/12, then flip and repeat, then flippin repeat... plus while ur doin it you got the tire in the back of your head! the lights had to be ground down to fit, the light holders had to be ground out to fit the ground out lights that were ground out to fit past the other light...
the wiring harness didnt come with plugs on the ends for the H11 bulbs... this is a problem in my eyes because it should be a ready to go bumper with a ready to go wiring harness, if you ordered it, and this guy did... and i still had to go get more parts!

but that being said EVERY other bumper ive installed by them has worked well for me. even putting GMC bumpers on Chevy trucks, or it mighta been the other way, i forget. but the whole front end is different and we made er fit good! lol yee haw!

ummm ya, back on to HIDs. lol

Old 03-02-2011, 11:49 PM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough

Have the HID extra kit in both high and low beam right now.
When i got the first kit in it did not work at all.
So they sent me out a new kit, got it in and worked fine, so ordered a second kit for the low beams.
Had them in for 2 months, then one of the ballasts went after a trip to the carwash. So I assumed that SOMEHOW some water must have managed to get in and shorted it out, seems a bit fishy. Anyways they sent me out a new ballast right away. This time when i put them in i taped up all the connections on the ballast. Running then in -50 and no problems since.
If i run into problems when they come off warranty i might give the ddm ones a try.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:41 AM

My next HID instal, and Road Armor bumper. Right now I have PIA extreme white bulbs from a stereo shop that cost almost $100 for the pair and in no way compare to the HID kit. Jim

Attached Thumbnails which hid kit is best?-van-bumper-side.jpg   which hid kit is best?-van-bumper-front.jpg  
Old 03-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Starting Member

we sell PIAA bulbs too, im not really a fan of them. not a whole lot brighter than regular bulbs. PIAA does make HID kits though! (just REALLY expensive!) i think they want around $200 for their kits, starting anyway... thats a non motorized kit for like... H11s or something to that effect (fog lights or low beams) two ballasts and two bulbs for two hundred dollars. no thanks, not for a piaa sticker.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:30 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Just disregard this post... I posted before I realized there were 4 pages to read through.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Beginning Member
Nikoli is on a distinguished road

Will the DRL's flicker with a ddm kit? Is their a way to turn them off?

Quick Reply: which hid kit is best?