Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

HID Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason
Did you see this?
I think this is exactly what I'm going to do. Fairly easy by the looks of it.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:03 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

The main issue with any retro is the aiming part. I had my housings of my cobalt apart and the mounting brackets built and mounted in about 5hrs, the aiming took a good week before I was happy (enough) with them (the drivers side is aimed a little too far left still).

Old 12-20-2013, 12:35 AM
KerbyG is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by thogert
the main issue with any retro is the aiming part. I had my housings of my cobalt apart and the mounting brackets built and mounted in about 5hrs, the aiming took a good week before i was happy (enough) with them (the drivers side is aimed a little too far left still).
word.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:00 AM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason
Did you see this?

Yeah, that's the thread I was talking about in my post earlier.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Thogert
The main issue with any retro is the aiming part. I had my housings of my cobalt apart and the mounting brackets built and mounted in about 5hrs, the aiming took a good week before I was happy (enough) with them (the drivers side is aimed a little too far left still).
The aiming part seems to be simplified when retrofitting the eBay housings. Correct?

Old 12-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Starting Member
swells87 is on a distinguished road

Diaita, I think I will be doing the same as well. If you do this any time soon take lots of pictures for us. That seems to be the easiest way to do it, I just dont know how much I like the looks of those ebay housings, but if that is what it takes to get that light output than that is what I will do. Hopefully I can find everything pretty cheap.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:35 PM

I may have just kinda accidentally bought a pair of these. I am having issues with what projectors will fit into the limited depth and height that the S series has available for the retrofit. Some guys say the FX-R will fit, others mention Morimoto D2S or H1(dunno what's better). Thoughts from the experienced gurus?

Sorry to hijack your thread swells87, but the info may help you as well.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:59 PM

Personally, I say go with some mini D2S projectors (morimoto) . TRS has some new ones coming out that are ****! But the mini H1s will definitely fit due to their size, and the FX-Rs /might/ fit with a bunch of cutting, but the risk may not be worth the reward.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

I never took any output pics of my own. It looks just like most other fxr output, such as this.

I've also got fx35's, clear lenses and 85122+ to put together for another truck. I've yet to put together the mini H1's to use for fog lights later. I'm biased towards the fx-r's, yes they are bigger but IMHO worth the effort. I've read comments on HIDP where people started with mini's then upgraded to fx's and say they should have done fx's from the start. Either way they are both going to be good. Almost a year with the retro and seeing signs light up blue to purple, sexy sharp cutoff, high beams that own still doesn't get old.

Attached Thumbnails HID Retrofit-1d29de2a.jpg  
Old 12-21-2013, 12:35 AM

I'm always big on the FX's. Just size can sometimes be their downfall. I'm going to pull mine out and take the front cut off shield off ( OEM FX have 2 attached to each other) to get a better cut off. The one thing I'm sad I didn't do was tune them in perfect before I got it all together. Oh well, still shines foooorrrreeevvvveeerrrrr down the road

Quick Reply: HID Retrofit