Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Ignition harness (Caution) possible electrical fire hazard

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 02:43 PM
ruclean is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Ignition harness (Caution) possible electrical fire hazard

I had to replace my ignition harness on my 1997 Blazer LS, I routed the new wires under the steering column and down the left side of the column. 6 days later while out hunting deer as I was turning my Balzer around and smoke came from inside the column and from under the left side of my hood. The metal locking device on the column rubbed through the red wire on the new harness and could have burnt the whole Blazer up in flames. Thank God the fusible link did what it is built to do. I advise anyone who does this procedure to correctly route the new harness along the right side of the steering column. And to be extra safe use heavy electrical tape to wrap the new harness wires. Now I need to go to a salvage yard to get a used fusible link, apparently, the auto parts stores cannot order one. I hope this saves someone from losing their SUV.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:19 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Wow! So glad you are ok and the fix will be easy.

Was this wiring in the engine compartment or passenger compartment?

Old 01-19-2018, 07:09 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

The short was in the steering column in the passenger compartment and smoked the fusible link under the hood.

Thanks for the tip ruclean. Maybe someone else at the auto parts store can find your fusible link. I think the deer sabotaged your truck while you were in the woods.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:41 AM
Starting Member
Snap-Off is on a distinguished road

Apparently the Elk out in Idaho must not be that vindictive, Christine could have suffered the same fate...Dang deer....

Old 01-19-2018, 12:42 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jone531@bellsouth.net
Apparently the Elk out in Idaho must not be that vindictive, Christine could have suffered the same fate...Dang deer....
But what I want to know is if ruclean got his deer?

For me, the elk make you pay for them one way or the other: either making me drag them out piece by piece, make me blow a tire on my trailer, or this last year take three steps and drop down 60' and then die to where I had to use the truck and a few tow straps to pull it up the hill.

Looking up the 60' drop to the road from the elk.

This is what happens when you forget to check your tire pressure.

The one I had to drag out in pieces.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:53 PM
Starting Member
Snap-Off is on a distinguished road

Ruclean....That is some good information..

And now thanks to you and Christine , I need to install an alarm in the Blazer before I head out to the woods next time..Never knew those critters could be that sneaky...

Old 01-19-2018, 04:47 PM
ruclean is on a distinguished road

Did not get my deer that particular day, however, I did get a small 7 point buck and a doe earlier in the season. You know I never thought about those deer sabotaging my truck while I was in the woods hunting. From now on I will have to start setting up trail cams where I park. Thank you for all the good and humorous replies.