Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Inconsistent battery drainage

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 07:00 AM
Conelpancake is on a distinguished road
Default Inconsistent battery drainage

Hello all, I have a 97 blazer ls 4 door with an odd problem. It started out with my headlights getting dimmer and brighter when the car is on but being perfectly fine when the car is off but the headlights are on. The other night I was driving home and an accident happened right in front of me, I had to cut into the shoulder lane and floor it to avoid it. Then I noticed my battery light blink twice and turn off. Battery gauge was fine. Got up to a stop light and decided to check it again by flooring it at the stop light and the same thing happened again, only this time the battery gauge had dropped to about half. Then the battery light blinking twice and shutting off would happen every time I would come to a stop and then accelerate. I let the car sit for 2 hours and drove it a couple of miles and it was fine. Took it out the next morning and it was fine as well. Yesterday morning my dad went to take it out and the battery light was stuck on now and the battery gauge was draining fast. Later in the day I went to start it and the battery light was not on and the gauge was fine but all the lights (dash lights, dome light and head lights) were all flickering so I just shut it off and took my old car out. I'm thinking it's a wiring problem because of the inconsistency of it but I do know that anythings possible. Any input on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:56 PM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if you are still there for this a older post and no one answer you. But I would look at your battery cables first..they are touchy buggers and can cause all kinds of problems...Once all of a sudden I was driving down I-10 (AZ) speed limit is 75 and I'm doing that and Blazer just dies, I said what the f--- pull over wait a minute try to crank it and it fire right up, well I was still about 25 miles out from home and it did this little trick off and on the whole way home. I was hotter then the 115 it was outside. I started checking and going over everything with a wrench, made sure the battery cables were tight and they appear to be. Gave it a try at starting, it fire right up and never gave me a problem with that since then..Of course I frim time to time make sure the cables are tight, now this was with the side mounted battery cables. Good Luck