Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Need Help! A/C clutch not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 12:44 PM
Starting Member
DARK1 is on a distinguished road
Default Need Help! A/C clutch not engaging

The wiring in the 95/96 S-10s is a bit different at many places than years before it or after it. I have collected a dozen diagrams - most of which let me down with mis-information on *my* truck before.

Guys that have had wiring issues with the 95/96 understand the problems that can arise from not using the correct diagram. My "Quad Mod" was tricky because of the unique wiring for the Headlights and the right diagram made the mod quick & simple. Thanx swartikk!

I hope maybe I can ask for help again. The A/C was Ice cold before I started disassembling the face of my dash panel. While I am no closer to creating a "Dome Override" for this unusually wired beast; now the A/C clutch doesn't engage. I am hoping I just blew a fuse or a relay but this year doesn't have a cluster of "monster fuses" under the hood. A buddy of mine knicked a wire to the compressor and jumped it. The A/C clutch engaged and was blowin' cold instantly. My goal is to restore service from the climate control panel.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by DARK1; 07-13-2017 at 08:34 PM. Reason: grammer correction
Old 07-14-2017, 08:23 PM
Starting Member
hoebob69 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DARK1
The wiring in the 95/96 S-10s is a bit different at many places than years before it or after it. I have collected a dozen diagrams - most of which let me down with mis-information on *my* truck before.

Guys that have had wiring issues with the 95/96 understand the problems that can arise from not using the correct diagram. My "Quad Mod" was tricky because of the unique wiring for the Headlights and the right diagram made the mod quick & simple. Thanx swartikk!

I hope maybe I can ask for help again. The A/C was Ice cold before I started disassembling the face of my dash panel. While I am no closer to creating a "Dome Override" for this unusually wired beast; now the A/C clutch doesn't engage. I am hoping I just blew a fuse or a relay but this year doesn't have a cluster of "monster fuses" under the hood. A buddy of mine knicked a wire to the compressor and jumped it. The A/C clutch engaged and was blowin' cold instantly. My goal is to restore service from the climate control panel.

Any advice is appreciated.
I just fixed the same problem on mine. Locate the ground wire going into the relay,and splice another ground wire into it. I ran mine from the firewall. Even with strange wiring the wire color is the same on the ac components. The ground wire is the issue.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:42 PM
Starting Member

Thanx Hoebob

I spent the afternoon at my local yard on Friday looking through 75-100 blazers for the same relay configuration. Every one of them looked similar to each other (wiring) but no relays. Until I found it! The bracket of 3 was screwed on the back firewall - just like mine! The VIN Sticker on the rear said 1996 Blazer. After I typed this thread I took a moment to digest what I wrote. At the risk of everyone thinking I was a whining idiot; I decided to post anyway. If I was gonna ask for precise help - I have to take a risk that the very specific post would not scare them off. After all. Even if 50 guys offered their help, it would be useless if they did not base advice on a 95/96. When I get this done I think I'm gonna post a pict of the set of relays hanging on the firewall. I don't think any one will believe it until they see it LOL

In the meanwhile .... My plan was to simply swap the relay (I think it is the one closest to the passenger door). If that plan fails I will fall back on tapping on a new ground wire. Can you tell me what color it is at the relay?

Last edited by DARK1; 07-16-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:25 PM
Starting Member

I got an entire cluster of relays at the yard. I looked at the two wires going into the compressor for color. The one my guy knicked was a solid green. That is what I based the question of "which one izit" on. All had the same item # on top.
I swapped one. No change.
The second one I swapped while engine was running. No change again
Finally I grounded the green wire from the relay wire entry while running. No change.
Finally I grounded the green wire from the A/C knick while running. No change.

Things are not going well. I may not have made good contacts. I may have blown something while letting the engine run.

I could go on all night about the maybes. Gonna sleep onit and hit it again on Wednesday. I am attaching an image of the relay cluster unique to the 95/96s

Attached Thumbnails Need Help! A/C clutch not engaging-relays96s-10-small.jpg  
Old 08-14-2017, 07:39 AM
Starting Member

I did speak with the guy that got the compressor running. He nicked the dark green "+" wire at the compressor plug and jumped it right to the battery + .

I would prefer not to hot wire it to + because I think it would always be "on." In FL there is rarely a time when we are not running A/C. Using this approach' I don't want to open my hood every time I turn on the A/C either.

I'm gonna have to find a real "fix."

Old 08-14-2017, 10:21 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

If you dont find it, run a toggle switch to the dash

Old 08-14-2017, 01:20 PM
Starting Member

thanx newguy

3 1/2 more months of "Africa Hot" down here. I really gotta do something

Old 08-14-2017, 01:56 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

just an idea LOL

Old 08-21-2017, 06:04 PM
Starting Member

Today I pulled The lower dash cover off [except for that damned brake release] and looked over all my wiring. I managed to get all the stereo speakers connected with good soldered connections but found the "Sure-Start 433" was also wired in well with soldered connections. I even unplugged it to see if the A/C clutch would kick in without the wiring going through that device. No difference at all. Back to square "1."

I did make an interesting discovery though. I put a good test light to the A/C relay. I grounded it to chassis and every time it illuminated - the A/C clutch came on. I wish I understood the significance of this. I dunno how to use an OHM meter either

Old 08-22-2017, 07:59 AM
Starting Member

For fans of the 95/96 S-10 Blazer I was testing the Green wire at the Relay. Any "been there - done that" wisdom is appreciated.