Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Fuel gauge, running out of ideas...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:04 PM
drummerboy1864 is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel gauge, running out of ideas...

So my fuel gauge hasn't worked since i got it. (shows under empty line, and occasionally with go to overfull) So I finally decided to dig into solving the problem. my first option was to mess with the instrument panel, took a volt meter to it and saw everything on the gauge side was working fine.

So Then I dropped the tank to check the sending unit and all the grounds. the wires were a bit corroded but not too bad. However i ended up breaking the freakin pump when the tank slid off my jackstand... So i replaced the whole pump/sending unit. STILL no working fuel gauge after.

So then I bought a universal fuel sending unit. Attempted to hook it up, but i probably did it wrong im not sure... anyways i couldn't get that one to give me a fuel reading either. So im at a loss, does anyone have any other ideas? Did i miss something?

Old 05-13-2013, 07:21 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Have you checked the ground wire and the ground connection that is on the frame behind and under the bumper? The ground wire could be connected but you may have a weak ground. I would remove the ground wire and wire brush or sand the top of the frame the washer and make sure there is a solid ground connection.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:16 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Check out this thread in the Tech DIY section. A fuel gauge reading under emplty is indicative of the level sending wire shorting directly to ground.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:37 PM
drummerboy1864 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
Check out this thread in the Tech DIY section. A fuel gauge reading under emplty is indicative of the level sending wire shorting directly to ground.
Thank you both for your response!

Yes I checked that DIY earlier and it was very helpful. which is when I checked the ground, and mr.vls I did not sand it down, but I did scrub the area with a battery terminal cleaner to make sure its getting good contacts.

According to that DIY post, it sounds like my problem isnt with the ground anyways though. It would be somewhere were the signal wire is contacting another ground somewhere else, is that right? Im not sure where i would go to look for something like that.

Does anyone know what would be causing the fuel sender wire to be shorting out, or where?

Old 05-13-2013, 03:45 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by drummerboy1864
Thank you both for your response!

Yes I checked that DIY earlier and it was very helpful. which is when I checked the ground, and mr.vls I did not sand it down, but I did scrub the area with a battery terminal cleaner to make sure its getting good contacts.

According to that DIY post, it sounds like my problem isnt with the ground anyways though. It would be somewhere were the signal wire is contacting another ground somewhere else, is that right? Im not sure where i would go to look for something like that.

Does anyone know what would be causing the fuel sender wire to be shorting out, or where?
Tracing a shorted wire can be very difficult. You're best bet is to try and follow the harness forward and see if you can find anywhere that it looks like there might have been damage, or where it's no longer secured to the frame. I wouldn't suggest trying to take the cover off the whole harness, just look for areas where the tape or plastic loom might be compromised. Also look around near the ECM in the engine bay and see if you can find any harnesses that look like they may have been damaged or altered. If you find any areas that might be suspect try wiggling the harness while you watch the gauge. If the gauge changes when you move the harness you've likely found the correct spot that needs fixed, and you can open up the harness to do a deeper investigation.

Good luck!