Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Poltergeist in the wiring!

Old 06-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Beginning Member
Spin87 is on a distinguished road
Default Poltergeist in the wiring!

Ok so I aint sure if I need a damn Priest to come by and bless this old blazer or what....

Last night when I was driving home from my Parents house. I went to roll up my driver side window...low and behold it did not roll up...I accidently bumped the passenger side switch and the driver side rolled up and the passenger side went down...so I got it as far up as I could then all of a sudden it just stopped the switch was dead...then the passenger side still goes up n down...so I got to looking and found the wiring had been a mass ball of black tape and jerry rigging...now shortly after that my dash light for my brake light came on..though the Emergency brake was not applied...

With that said. I know the issue with the window but my puzzling dilema and the point made about a priest coming by is what the hell does a window switch have to do with the brake light?

As well I am looking to find a photo of the properly wired Driver Window Switch for a 92 S10 Blazer 4.3 as I cant find anything on these switches. If any one could help I would greatly appreciate it...this has become one headache after another...

Ok so this morning I go out to actually go some where and now all dash lights are on gauges are all reading at the top of there scales...and it will try to start but actually wont start...hazard lights high beams service engine soon brake lights and anti lock brake lights are all on...and nothing is responding to anything

I have no clues and could use any help possible on this

Last edited by Spin87; 06-26-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:34 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Most likely a short i n your "jerry rigging" there. I would try and isolate each wire from each other.

If possible trace the window switch wires and remove from the circuit somehow. That should rule that out.

No blown fuses though? No funky clicking from a relay?

I think you may be tracing wires for a while. I leaked some power steering steering fluid from a hydraboost onto a ford wireing harness and it ate through the insulation causing all kinds of problems. Of course it was inside that funky plastic tubing they like to put wires in to keep them organized. PIA. A haynes may have enough in the wiring diagrams to help.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Beginning Member

There is no clicking of any kind...When I go to start it will turn over etc but will not stay running will fire etc...though now if the dash lights are normal it will fire run for a couple seconds then shut down and the hazard ligths check gages etc will come back on and stay on...even now when I take the key out and have ti all shut down it still keeps the dash lights on! I have no clue I have been tracing wires all morning havent found any bare spots or any bad wiring yet behind or to the dash cluster and to the fuse box...

Old 06-26-2011, 03:42 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Could it possibly be the ignition switch? Others will know better than me on that one.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Beginning Member

I am starting to think that to...but I cant seem to find any issues so I am racking my brain and others tryign to sort this out.