Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

rear glass release

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Beginning Member
Jerb is on a distinguished road
Default rear glass release

i have a 1997 4 door 4wd with a pushbutton rear glass release which doesn't work, i have read the other post on how to fix it, but my problem is the actuator does not work, i have pulled the actuator off and tested it with a battery and it works fine, there is power to my push button and power leaving, but still will not work....any ideas???? bout to the point of running two wires and putting a different push button in the dash!! you are supposed to be able to turn key in back lock and then push the outside button to release the glass as well, could the outside lock button have an issue resulting in problem??? Thanks

Last edited by Jerb; 01-16-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Starting Member
98HeavyChevy is on a distinguished road

The inside of my rear gate is rusted and the push button hardly works on mine. The thing won't turn with a key in it and gets stuck if I try to push it (and my domelight stays on if I don't pull it out again). Even with these gate issues the dash push button opens the gate every time and the inside release behind the gate will lower that. Can you get the panel off the rear gate to see the lock mechanism? I would think yes if you tested the actuator, etc.. Is the mechanism itself clean and rust free? Will it move manually?

Old 01-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Beginning Member

Yes i had the back panel off was able to reach up in there and manually release the glass so i could finish pulling the panel off, actuator works and everything moves freely, just not getting power back to the actuator, was wondering if a faulty outside keyswitch could cause this, although i can unlock and lock all the doors still with the tailgate key switch, but pushing it in does not release the glass as neither will the dash pushbutton, fuse is good, followed some of the wiring as best i could but still nothing.....dont really want to just bypass all safety stuff and run a new wire with a pushbutton, but just about ready to do that...lol

Old 01-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Starting Member

Can you use a piece of metal (screwdriver or wire) to complete the key switch circuit? I had a 87 Firebird which had a bad solenoid in the rear hatch. The button, fuse, and actuator itself were fine.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Beginning Member

i can try that but dont know which wires go where out of the key switch, any ideas for a wiring schematic for a 1997 blazer???

Old 01-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Starting Member

I'm sure I have one in the backend of my repair manual. But it's in the truck. I'll take a look for it next time I'm outside feeding my dirty habit. lol

Old 01-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Beginning Member

i appreciate it!

Old 01-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Starting Member
Default rear gate wiring diagram

Was easier to try and draw it out than explain it. I hope this helps.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:12 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

you know that having it off the truck (ie; no load) makes a wrl of difference.

try swapping it with another one, see if that was the issue.

i changed the rear wiper motor in my '98 'cause the damn thing would get stuck sometimes while cleaning the window. started doing it again after a few months, got pissed off & smaked the switch-and it started working again!

now, whenever it happens, i just flick the switch, & it starts right back up. i need a new dash bezel to replace my switch (original owner used urethane to secure the switch in the dash bezel.