Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Slow battery drain question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 04:20 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough
Default Slow battery drain question

Been noticing a few extra rotations to start the truck in the morning. Charged the battery, checked with a meter 12.5, 4 hours later 11.9. Pulled the fuse from the main roof light power wire. 4 hours later 12.5. So it must be the lights but how. Poor ground? I`m not much of an electrician.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

How old is the battery? Might not be a bad idea to upgrade especially since you have the winch now unless you already have. I can say that with my optima and CS130d alt I can do a pull at idle with the ac on and only drop about .5v.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:31 PM
BF Veteran

Battery is brand new advanced 750 crank . But it was draining in the driveway and replenished itself after pulling the inline fuse

Old 12-30-2013, 07:11 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

how do you have the roof lights hooked up? Since when pulling the fuse, it stopped the drain, so it has to be how they are wired. The ground would really not cause a parasitic drain. That would really only cause problem when they are being used.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:17 PM
BF Veteran

now that I think about it, it didnt really start till after the big 3 upgrade, could that relate to the lights somehow?

Old 12-31-2013, 05:03 PM
BF Veteran

OK another question, mid teens for temperature and getting a steady reading of 11.93 volts after sitting for several hours. Normal? Battery is less than a year old

Old 12-31-2013, 08:53 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

That does not seem out of the normal, given the temp and a battery really is only 12-12.5v

Old 01-01-2014, 12:05 PM
BF Veteran

This morning it showed 11.92, wouldnt even turn over. Battery was less than 1 year old autocraft silver. Pulled it out and brought back. They said it needed a charge, I said I want a new one, wait, I want to upgrade to the autocraft gold. They agreed to it. Cleaned up all the connections during install. Will monitor through the day. Is it possible the big 3 upgrade could cause a drain some how?

Old 01-01-2014, 05:38 PM
BF Veteran

Update, new install was 12.40 at 1pm at 2:15 it was at 12.40, 4:00 it was 12.39 volts and 6 pm it was 12.38. Feel good that it was the battery seeing it only dropped 2hundreths in 5 hours

Old 01-01-2014, 06:27 PM
BF Veteran

I dont see how the big 3 could cause a drain unless you did it wrong, but if there was no sparks or fire when running LOL

That is crazy that it would not even turn over at 11.92v.. That is definitely a bad battery, LOL at the place saying it needed a charge.

Quick Reply: Slow battery drain question