Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

is there better battery??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Beginning Member
shadow03 is on a distinguished road
Default is there better battery??

I have a 2003 Chevy blazer and I have a lot of auxiliary lighting hooked up to my battery
I am a firefighter so I have a lot of blue lights and I also have off roading lights and back up lights and I also want to put a winch on the front I was wondering if anyone has a better battery I can get that has more power to it or is there a way I can hook up a second one?
The battery I have is just one the dealer gave me I don't know the specific of cold cranking amps or storing amps of it

Old 02-05-2013, 06:50 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

optima, kinetic.
You can also run some 4 gauge power wires to the back of your truck and build a battery box and put a second battery back there.
also, I would recommend doing the big 3 upgrade (upgrading power wire from alt to battery, and the alt ground, and battery ground to a larger gauge wire (4 gauge or larger)

Old 02-05-2013, 07:36 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

all of the above and stop by a place like Napa may be able to source a higher output option alternator that will still bolt on and a battery isolator for the second battery

Old 02-05-2013, 07:40 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

BTW
A battery rep told me a few years back that the police change the battery in the cars after about 6 months because of the heavy electrical demand on their system

Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Beginning Member

Would the second battery put a huge strain on my alternator? I just had it replaced the other day because the bearing went in it and it was making a lot of noise

Old 02-05-2013, 07:54 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Why are you thinking about doing this, just curious. do your lights dim when you have your blue lights flashing ect?

are the blue lights LED's?

I would start with the big 3, and go from there. I am running 750w on my subwoofer, soon to be another 200w amp for components, and upgraded my headlights to h4 bulbs with the relay harness, Have the digital dash cluster, power windows, locks, seats ect... and I can have the heat or AC on, and the system really loud, with the headlights on, and I stay up around 14 volts (with just the big 3)

The stock wiring for the charging is just... sub par.

There is also the option of upgrading your alt to a full size, all you would need is a longer belt.

AD244 is the alt, some one else can chime in on the alt.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 PM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

Optimas are great

Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Look into the ad244 alternator swap that will help a lot.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Beginning Member

All my blue lights are led they shouldn't be drawing too much I do have a lot though and my headlights never dim sometimes the gauge lights do though 90% of the time its when going into reverse. I guess with the kc back up lights and my backup camera it drains it to about like 10 -12 and as soon as I bit the gas and start rolling it goes right back up. I didn't think that back up lights drew that much power but I guess they do and if I get the winch id didn't wanna kill the battery if I ever had to use it to pull myself or a friend out. I also don't get to drive for long periods of time like on the highway because I work two jobs locally and take a lot of time so maybe it just doesn't get a good charge?

Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by shadow03
All my blue lights are led they shouldn't be drawing too much I do have a lot though and my headlights never dim sometimes the gauge lights do though 90% of the time its when going into reverse. I guess with the kc back up lights and my backup camera it drains it to about like 10 -12 and as soon as I bit the gas and start rolling it goes right back up. I didn't think that back up lights drew that much power but I guess they do and if I get the winch id didn't wanna kill the battery if I ever had to use it to pull myself or a friend out. I also don't get to drive for long periods of time like on the highway because I work two jobs locally and take a lot of time so maybe it just doesn't get a good charge?
I think you would benefit from the big 3. that slight dim on your dash lights when you put it into reverse would be gone.

Quick Reply: is there better battery??