Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Wiring Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 01:21 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about
Default Wiring Lights

I went through a quick google search last night and did a little searching on here, but did not find the answer I was looking for....

Basically I picked up two 6" harbor freight offroad lights....
They are 55w H3 bulbs I believe and I was going to mount them on my brushguard....

I ran to Radioshack and picked myself up a few toggles rated at 30A.

Now I was looking everywhere and ALWAYS listed a relay being used...

I wired the amp in my previous car straight to the battery and to the headunit as the remote turn on, and I thought I could run power from the battery to (fuse) to switch, and then to lights, grounding the lights on the frame.....

Should I use a relay? Also, is there any thing that shows the diagram how this should be done? I found a few but was getting a bit tossed around, because I almost want to future proof the system to add more lights later, but it listed that you needed x lights per relay at a MAX....

Also, what guage wire should be running between everything?

Just trying to get a few things clear, and a list of items to buy before mounting them (no one likes nonfunctional lights)

Old 09-28-2010, 01:40 PM
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough

I have all my lights on a relay. I have found that my volts stay higher with the relay, than with out. And heres how mine are wired up.

Not sure what gauge wire, All my lights came with wires.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:36 PM
BF Veteran

http://www.amazon.com/Pico-Terminal-...5706137&sr=1-1

Would that be a suitable relay or where can I pick them up?

Old 09-28-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by wlorton
http://www.amazon.com/Pico-Terminal-...5706137&sr=1-1

Would that be a suitable relay or where can I pick them up?
Yes that will work, but you can go to any auto parts store and pick up a 30 or 40 amp relay. Than you just have wire it up using the above diagram.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:59 PM
BF Veteran

Awesome, Looks like I will be making a stop tomorrow at the Zone to get one....

Old 09-28-2010, 07:25 PM
BF Veteran

Idk how many people know me personally, but I tend to over do it all the time....

I was looking into it and if the finances strike right... I am debating picking up a complete set of lights... I would run 2 brushguard, 4 roof rack forward, 4 roof rack backwards, and 2 angled left 2 angled right on the roof rack....

I was thinking complete over kill, but what changes would need to be made to the electrical to run that? Each "Zone" front, rear, left, right, would have its own switch.

Last edited by wlorton; 09-28-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: I double posted.... I am sorry
Old 09-28-2010, 09:26 PM

Idk how many people know me personally, but I tend to over do it all the time....

I was looking into it and if the finances strike right... I am debating picking up a complete set of lights... I would run 2 brushguard, 4 roof rack forward, 4 roof rack backwards, and 2 angled left 2 angled right on the roof rack....

I was thinking complete over kill, but what changes would need to be made to the electrical to run that? Each "Zone" front, rear, left, right, would have its own switch.
They will be wired up the same way. You just have to decide what lights you want on each switch. For instance my KC's are on one switch, my roof lights are wired so the outside two lights are on one switch and the middle lights are on a switch. And of course a switch for the HID reverse lights!!!!

P.S check out my let there be light thread for more info on my setup.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:28 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by pj5454302
They will be wired up the same way. You just have to decide what lights you want on each switch. For instance my KC's are on one switch, my roof lights are wired so the outside two lights are on one switch and the middle lights are on a switch. And of course a switch for the HID reverse lights!!!!

P.S check out my let there be light thread for more info on my setup.
I have been looking at it... It looks good, but DAMN those lights up top are HUGE

Old 09-29-2010, 07:19 AM

I have been looking at it... It looks good, but DAMN those lights up top are HUGE
I like having huge lights on the roof, Although I have been told it make my truck look smaller.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:32 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I don't use relays. I'm so tired of wires I use the least amount of wires possible. Deffinatly use a fuse thou... don't want anything chatching on fire. Relays are kind of pricey anyway

Quick Reply: Wiring Lights