Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lounge-5/)
-   -   3d printed center console mod ideas (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lounge-5/3d-printed-center-console-mod-ideas-97415/)

mallterrainhero 07-29-2018 11:15 AM

3d printed center console mod ideas

So, I have a 3d printer and am planning on ditching the nasty cd holder in the center console(98 blazer), so I'm coming up with ideas for that slot. I figure I'd like a nice cell phone stand, so I can still see the display. A charging dock would be cool, and easily doable as I have a common phone and can pull up models on thingiverse pretty easily, but frankly I get great battery life anyway and charge once a night. But I do vape so I def want a mod holder so I can take my mod out of the pouch on my hip and have it right there in the console.

Anyways, anyone else have some ideas of cool things to replace that ugly cd rack with?

N. Jensen 07-30-2018 08:59 AM

I just put cds in it.. :icon_redface:

blazen_red_4x4 07-30-2018 09:23 PM

I would love to see what you come up with!

I've been wanting to find something productive to use my ABS for in my printer lol

Some ideas that come to mind:
-integrated wireless charger for a phone (with maybe a tray that snaps in to allow it to center different model phones on the charger?)
-USB docking plug/port that a phone can slot down into; be useful if you have a AV unit in the dash that allows screen mirroring? (possibly like above with a removable tray that allows it to work with multiple models of phones)
-USB or SD card slot or dock that can tie into an aftermarket stereo head unit for multimedia
-switch panel/mount for extra things like lights
-mount for extra 12v outlet, USB port for charging mobile devices, etc

Really I guess the possibilities are endless, just depends on your imagination and what you'd like to have there!

mallterrainhero 07-31-2018 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4 (Post 693514)
I would love to see what you come up with!

I've been wanting to find something productive to use my ABS for in my printer lol

Some ideas that come to mind:
-integrated wireless charger for a phone (with maybe a tray that snaps in to allow it to center different model phones on the charger?)
-USB docking plug/port that a phone can slot down into; be useful if you have a AV unit in the dash that allows screen mirroring? (possibly like above with a removable tray that allows it to work with multiple models of phones)
-USB or SD card slot or dock that can tie into an aftermarket stereo head unit for multimedia
-switch panel/mount for extra things like lights
-mount for extra 12v outlet, USB port for charging mobile devices, etc

Really I guess the possibilities are endless, just depends on your imagination and what you'd like to have there!

the wireless charger is an easy one I think, you could go on thingiverse and grab a charging stand that matches your phone, try to find one with the source files that is comparable with your cad of choice, and modify it to fit the opening. The USB dock might get a little trickier with tolerances, but mainly your phone will be bouncing around with the USB port as a tie down, so it might put stress on the port.
abs will work fine. But I never used the stuff. Early on I developed a bias against abs because it stinks and can be a pain to print. But it is durable, easy to sand and paint. I suck at cad, so the design takes me a while, but I plan on spiral vase mode pla yo check fir gefore printing in either taulman bridge or taulman n vent. Bridge will be extra tough and allow me to add tiny clips without concern, but sanding and painting is almost impossible. N vent does overhangs a little cleaner but I havnt tried sanding it yet. Of course abs can be vapor smoothed, so another plus for abs.
if you desire to do any design, please keep me in the loop, I'd love to see where you end up too. Itll be a while on mine, but when it's done I'll share source files on thingiverse(I'm using designspark mechanical right now but will prob fo back to fusion 360) and I plan on throwing a video up on my severely neglected YouTube channel. Havnt posted a video in a year, mainly a captain's log of the starship idontknowwhatimdoing but if you're that bored check out 3dprinting meathead, for some reason I have like 65 subs.

Bepjer28 08-05-2018 03:39 PM

I think the cool thing would be to get a power converter and put an AC outlet there so you could charge your phone or plug anything else into it...

mallterrainhero 08-06-2018 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bepjer28 (Post 693833)
I think the cool thing would be to get a power converter and put an AC outlet there so you could charge your phone or plug anything else into it...

I do love me some 110v angry pixies I can take around with me.i work landscaping, mainly masonry, but every once in a while get sent on a job needing grinders or sawzall, mainly for cutting roots for stump removal, but they're handy for stone too. Hell, I had to use a jigsaw to cut limestone once, had to be a precise sharp corner cut and a jigsaw metal blade was the only thing that gave me the control I needed, the stuffs so soft it did it with ease. One of our 2500hds came with a 110v plug from the factory and none of us knew it till I went rooting around deep cleaning and spotted it.
that might become part of the plan in the future when I RIP out the casette deck, I think that opening would be perfect for that, and the hd is a pretty big and heavy truck, bet my zr2 could get into those cozy backwoods areas easier without causing as much lawn damage, because the places I usually need and not have 110 are well off the beaten path.