Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

3D Printing - what a time to be alive!

Old 07-25-2017, 06:40 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

PETG definitely needs to be printed slower. I was able to manage 40mm/s at 245C. I think layer adhesion was best at 235C, but I wasn't able to go much over 20mm/s print speed without having issues. I do have everything to move to a direct drive Tevo Titan extruder with a v6 volcano clone that would at least move past the bowden issues.

I'm currently using eSun PLA+ and printing at 70mm/s with great results.

I have been looking at running an ethernet cable between the controls and the hotend for ease of removal for rebuild, but keep on running out of conductors with everything I have (x-stop{2}, hotend fan{2}, layer fan{2}, hotend leds {2}, hotend heater {2 - using 4 wires to split the load, but may keep this separate with it's own connector [xt30?]}, hotend temp probe {2}, and BLTouch {5}). I could combine grounds on a few of these items, but I think that will only save me one wire.

I want to bend up a controls enclosure out of sheetmetal and get all of my wiring extended and cleaned up properly. Eventually I will be adding a relay block in so the pi can control the lights, power supply, etc.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:29 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Well I did finally get to the bottom of my "clogging" issue. It wasn't speed and it wasn't temp. I was tightening the gear drive on my Bowden extruder motor assembly too tight, pinching the filament too tight, which was thinning it out and making it "wave" be fore it was pushed into the tube. I would wave so much that it would just bent out and rat-nest... I loosened the tension up some and I can print at at least 60mm/s now even with the PETG! Hasn't given me an issue since!

I'm about to order some ABS and do some experimenting. I have designed a universally mountable housing/bracket assembly for some Mustang LED fog lights that I want to mount onto the Blazer

This was the first mock up design. Just printed with PLA because I have a ton of it...

I didn't like how "roundish" it looked, so I redesigned it with a flat top and bottom, and added some mounting tabs to the assembly. I have the matching mount that bolts to the vehicle designed too.

Still need to design the back cover though. Going to incorporate some vent holes into it so the LED heat sink can breath a little. Good thing is the LED light assembly is at least water resistant, so I don't have to worry about moister getting in it as a problem.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Very cool!

My latest project is to make an adapter for our Trimble CR600 laser receiver that has a broken dove-tail mount. I have prototyped the male & female dove-tails to make sure that things fit together properly and am getting ready to print the full repair piece. I'll snap some pictures and post them once I have the new piece done.

*EDIT* - Pictures attached. Not shown are the two test blocks I printed to get the dimensions correct.

The fit between the mount (gray) and the adapter (blue) is still quite tight, but that's what they make files & sandpaper for. The fit between the receiver (yellow) and the adapter is perfect as is.

Feels good to resurrect a >$300 piece of equipment!

Attached Thumbnails 3D Printing - what a time to be alive!-0909170053.jpg   3D Printing - what a time to be alive!-0909170052.jpg   3D Printing - what a time to be alive!-0909170053a.jpg   3D Printing - what a time to be alive!-0909170055.jpg   3D Printing - what a time to be alive!-0909170055a.jpg  

3D Printing - what a time to be alive!-0909170054.jpg  
Old 09-09-2017, 01:48 PM

I think I've got the design finished for the Mustang LED fog light housing. Just waiting on my black ABS to come in!

Old 09-09-2017, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Nice work!

Old 10-08-2017, 05:08 PM
Administrator

I just started printing parts for the MPCNC (mostly printed CNC by Vicious1.com) engraver/router. I'm going to be using a Makita 30k rpm 1.25hp router and shooting for a 24" square work area. Once I get this project working, I will likely be trying to design and build a scale-able CNC plasma table.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:58 PM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I just started printing parts for the MPCNC (mostly printed CNC by Vicious1.com) engraver/router. I'm going to be using a Makita 30k rpm 1.25hp router and shooting for a 24" square work area. Once I get this project working, I will likely be trying to design and build a scale-able CNC plasma table.
That is awesome.
I wonder if the plastic framing around the side glass of my blazer could be printed?
Anyone done that yet?

Old 10-09-2017, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk

I wish I had the room in my garage to set up a CNC router. Got too much crap in there lol

That's awesome though man, would like to see some pics once you get it all up and running!

Old 10-09-2017, 04:09 PM
Administrator

I still don't know whether I am going to set it up in my garage (24x24) on top of the workbench I built a long time ago or if I'll take it to my shop (40x60) to setup. The shop is a dirtier place in general much of which is generated whenever I weld, but the shop is huge compared to my garage. The biggest problem with the shop is that it's 10 minutes away from my house.

I ordered $100 of aluminum tubing this afternoon and all of the other hardware, electronics, etc last night.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:22 PM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

I just got a big box full of 3d printer. Looks like I'm going to have some fun getting this thing assembled lol.

Ended up getting the flsun i3 style. it seemed to have the best reviews for the price range, and on top of that it was available on Amazon prime..I'm pretty excited to start assembling this thing after work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3D Printing - what a time to be alive!