Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lounge-5/)
-   -   5.7 v8? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lounge-5/5-7-v8-40849/)

a_tack 02-18-2010 09:34 PM

If you want gas mileage and power go for something with a 5.3L in it.

old skool luvr 02-19-2010 04:55 PM

^^^ definately! but that engine was never available in '97 (the year of the 'Burb he's looking @).

xmradioguy 02-20-2010 11:51 AM

I get about 24mpg in in my S15jimmy with the TBI350

old skool luvr 02-20-2010 03:08 PM

hey Alex, it seems like you need to get back on this thread and clarify what it was you were inquiring about, 'cause people seem to think you're looking @ an engine swap. guess a few posters haven't read your question. :icon_shrug:

it's been a bit, have you decided on that 'Burb yet? or at least gone to look @ it?

Sisk 02-20-2010 05:20 PM

I'M NOT DOING AN ENGINE SWAP PEOPLE!!

lol...there is that enough clarification?

And Chris, I went to look at the burb last night. To my suprise it was a GMC suburban. I thought it was a chev. It was around 11pm though, so I didn't get a real good look at it. I went back today and I don't think I'm going to trade. It's the style I love, and it's fully loaded with leather and whatnot but it's just not worth what my Blazer is. As much as I want to go full sized it would be a poor deal for me. The body was in decent shape, but the rockers were starting to go (as is on my truck) and the paint was pretty faded. The interior would have been a piece of work too. It was VERY dirty. Not that that bothered me though. I enjoy detailing vehicles, so a challenge like that I welcomed. It also had a few cracks in the bumper. Overall it was a nice truck, but it had a few rust spots and overall not nearly the kind of condition that I would have hoped for.
Besides the major things, little things like not having a sun roof (a MUST have for me now lol), not having tinted windows, being 5 years older then my current truck. I'm going to make the smart choice and hold out for a full sized in better condition. Hell, maybe even a newer one when I can afford it someday.
In the mean time I need some work done to my Blazer. I have a bad random misfire now. I need a new distributor cap and rotor (luckily not a new distributor though). While I'm at that I'm going to do plugs and wires. I also need a thermostat and O2 sensor. Along with that I noticed the other day as I washed me truck the rust has finally cracked the paint along the rockers on the drivers side. This means I may be looking at some minor body work this year, and to cover that up I've decided I'll probably go 2 tone (I know, terrible right?) with black roll on bed liner below that line on the side of the truck. I think it might turn out ok though since my truck kind of has a blue/black theme going. Should be a good spring/summer for work on the truck :)

a_tack 02-20-2010 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr (Post 302328)
^^^ definately! but that engine was never available in '97 (the year of the 'Burb he's looking @).

Yeah, thats my bad, I didn't read it right. I thought he was doing an engine swap..... 97 only had a 5.0 305 and a 5.7 350....

old skool luvr 02-21-2010 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sisk (Post 302688)
I'M NOT DOING AN ENGINE SWAP PEOPLE!!

lol...there is that enough clarification?

And Chris, I went to look at the burb last night. To my suprise it was a GMC suburban. I thought it was a chev. ................... The body was in decent shape, but the rockers were starting to go (as is on my truck) and the paint was pretty faded. The interior would have been a piece of work too. It was VERY dirty. Not that that bothered me though. I enjoy detailing vehicles, so a challenge like that I welcomed. It also had a few cracks in the bumper. Overall it was a nice truck, but it had a few rust spots and overall not nearly the kind of condition that I would have hoped for.

lol, yeah, i think that'll cover it Alex. :icon_razz:

nice that it's a GMC, those grill & HL's are much better looking IMO-especially on my era of 'Burb. :icon_wink:

:icon_really: seriously? your rockers are going? i know you guys tend to have a little more salt thrown on the roads than we do here in Ontario, but the only (visable) rust is happening on my back bumper (around the plastic cover below the licence plate).

mind you, i noticed last year that the front cab mounts are going the way they did on my '92 (ie; starting to rot through the floor).

you're right not to bother trading rides though. but i seriously thought you were just looking @ buying it for another vehicle, not to replace your Blazer. you're right, something better will come along, that's how i came across my current 'Burb.

hang tuff, it'll happen.

LS1BadBird 02-21-2010 11:37 AM

So... when are you gonna start the engine swap?

:icon_wink::icon_wink::icon_wink::icon_wink::icon_ wink:

stevo 02-21-2010 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by xmradioguy (Post 302564)
I get about 24mpg in in my S15jimmy with the TBI350

thats because of the power to weight ratio
it takes hardly anything to get that 350 to move the jimmy
as the burb, which ways 1000+ pounds more, but more stress on the engine
but anyway, i wouldnt worry about gas mileage too much if its a 97

Phil 02-21-2010 12:00 PM

Damn, if I had known you needed a t-stat I would've mailed you mine for free if you wanted it. I just had to pull out my Hypertech 180* after only like 150 miles because my Hypertech Programmer said to go back to a stock rated one for their tuning.

Anywho, hold out for a better deal and just try to get more time out of the Blazer. Besides, your truck has inspired my build so much, its going to be a sad day when you get rid of it.