Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lounge-5/)
-   -   Always check your parts at the store! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lounge-5/always-check-your-parts-store-97646/)

christine_208 08-29-2018 03:25 PM

Always check your parts at the store!

Recently re-learned a lesson.

I was buying new inner bearing seals for the rear bearings on my 1982 Prelude. Imagine my surprise when I went to check their size against the originals only to find the diameter of the new ones were 4 mm larger than the originals. Grrr. Turns out BOTH of the seals I bought were incorrect. The seals in the boxes were the same to each other but in the wrong boxes. The part number was correct and the part number was for the correctly sized seals. This was at Autozone and they were able to get the correct ones in really quickly.

I know that sometimes a box will have the wrong part but for both boxes to have the same wrong part!

07nhbpsi 08-30-2018 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by christine_208 (Post 694946)
Recently re-learned a lesson.

I was buying new inner bearing seals for the rear bearings on my 1982 Prelude. Imagine my surprise when I went to check their size against the originals only to find the diameter of the new ones were 4 mm larger than the originals. Grrr. Turns out BOTH of the seals I bought were incorrect. The seals in the boxes were the same to each other but in the wrong boxes. The part number was correct and the part number was for the correctly sized seals. This was at Autozone and they were able to get the correct ones in really quickly.

I know that sometimes a box will have the wrong part but for both boxes to have the same wrong part!

The real mistake here was going to Autozone.....I avoid that store like the plague.... unless it’s a gasket that nobody else has..provided I know it’s a repackaged felpro gasket in their dura garbage packaging..

GreenBlazer2002 08-30-2018 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by 07nhbpsi (Post 694994)

The real mistake here was going to Autozone.....I avoid that store like the plague.... unless it’s a gasket that nobody else has..provided I know it’s a repackaged felpro gasket in their dura garbage packaging..

makes sense.
you check your bag at the fast food chain and you only paid 5 bucks there.
chances are you paid a lot more at the parts store.

christine_208 08-30-2018 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by 07nhbpsi (Post 694994)

LOL, well, I don't have an awful lot of options in my smaller town. I have several parts stores but they are not necessarily stocked well.

christine_208 08-30-2018 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by GreenBlazer2002 (Post 694999)
makes sense.
you check your bag at the fast food chain and you only paid 5 bucks there.
chances are you paid a lot more at the parts store.

In this case, the total bill for the parts was about $6.00 and they got the right ones for me in a day. I did lose a few days towards getting my car back on the road.

GreenBlazer2002 08-31-2018 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by christine_208 (Post 695003)
In this case, the total bill for the parts was about $6.00 and they got the right ones for me in a day. I did lose a few days towards getting my car back on the road.

then you lost time, which is priceless and irreplaceable.
I would rather have lost $6.😁