The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Calling all Computer Guru's

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Starting Member
swells87 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Thogert
I was thinking along the lines of an i7 and probably 32GB ram, and I'd like at least a 3GBs video card (maybe two if I can afford it.) I really doubt I'd run more than one monitor though.

A SSD is a must, as my dad and a couple of friends work at IMFT (Intel Micron Flash Technologies) here in Lehi, Utah, which if you didn't know, are the #1 company in the world for manufacturing NAND flash memory chips (SSD's and jump drives ect.) I can't wait to finish my degree to see if I can get a job there.
If I can make a suggestion, don't worry about having 32GB's of ram, your pc will NEVER use even half that much. 16GB's is more than you need. Even with my pc running dual monitor's, I will be playing a game on one screen at maxed out settings (assasins creed 4) and have several other programs running and watching a 1080P movie on the other screen and still not even use HALF of the 16GB's of ram that I have. Save that money and put it into something different. You can always upgrade ram later if needed. I would rather have 8 to 16GB's and put the left over money into a better video card or a 2nd SSD to run in Striped Raid for better speed. But that is just my opinion. Also you will notice a bigger difference if you go with faster ram that has lower timing's than you will with more ram. Look for something that has a cas latency of 7 if you can, with the highest speed you can get.
And running dual monitors is awsome, once you have the setup you will not want to use a single monitor again. Infact I am wanting to get another big screen tv to use as a third monitor for watching videos on.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Starting Member
jpimp is on a distinguished road

as my sig says, I am still rockin an old Q6600 @ 3.5 Ghz under water.
I have since retired the crossfire 4870's and popped in a GTX 670

Old 11-22-2013, 10:00 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

My rig is getting old

1st gen I7 920@2.67ghz
12gb GSkill ram
2 EVGA GTX460's in SLI
Corsair 1000 watt ps
2- 1 terabyte Western Digital hdd
Logitech G15 keyboard
Logitech G7 mouse
Saitek X52 pro flight stick
Track IR
Plantronic GameComm777 head set
Antec DF-85 full tower

Attached Thumbnails Calling all Computer Guru's-desk-016sm.jpg  
Old 11-23-2013, 10:28 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

I have 3 rigs up n running at all times,since I know have my cousin staying with me I set up her one of my computer.It was my first custom build I ever did way back.It uses a biostar pm4800 socket 478 mobo.The processor is 3ghz but I over clocked it to 3.6ghz.It has 4 gbs pc ddr2 667 dual channel ram with a 500gb hard drive and 400 watt power supply.Yeah its old but I`ll always keep it.My ccuzin doesn't play games so it gets the job done even though its old.On my other that's amd black edition I run 2 monitors and have hdmi cable hooked up to my tv for watching movies.Like I mentioned its got 8gb of the highest speed of ddr2.Thats maxed out but its still enough ram.Someday I want build a newer rig but I want get a laptop or smart phone.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Spoonie79 is on a distinguished road

I never considered myself a Techie, until I sat back one day and counted my computers, devices and gadgets.

- 15 inch MacBook Pro w Snow Leopard, all of tge Adobe Programs (Photoshop, Draamwaever..ect). I know I'm using an older
- 21 Inch iMac with a buch of video editing software in it like Final Cut Pro
-15 inch Tosheba notebook
- iPhone 4S phone
- Andriod Evo phone
- PS3 game system
- 2nd Gen iPad
- iPod Classic
- About 4 external hard drives (1 is Terrabyte, other 3 ate like 160 GB's something like that).
- AirPort express wi-fi router to tie all this stuff together abd have them interact because it's on the same network. (I.e. Playing music from my iPad wirelessly to my home stereo)

As you can see I'm mostly an Apple guy

Old 11-28-2013, 11:44 AM

I like building the desktop systems but goal is the laptop or smart phone,tablet..I have a tablet but its old and need to update it.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:26 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I hate tablets, and laptops. hate them with a passion.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:52 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I was looking at the new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition. Very very tempting. 1.9GHz quad core processor with 3GB of ram? Shoot, that's almost as good as my laptop. $600 is a little steep for me at the moment though.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Thogert
I was thinking along the lines of an i7 and probably 32GB ram, and I'd like at least a 3GBs video card (maybe two if I can afford it.) I really doubt I'd run more than one monitor though.

A SSD is a must, as my dad and a couple of friends work at IMFT (Intel Micron Flash Technologies) here in Lehi, Utah, which if you didn't know, are the #1 company in the world for manufacturing NAND flash memory chips (SSD's and jump drives ect.) I can't wait to finish my degree to see if I can get a job there.
Id personal go with an amd processor save yourself a couple hundred bucks and still have the speed with fm1 with up to 8 cores and built graphics controller.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:07 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

8 cores would be nice.

Quick Reply: Calling all Computer Guru's