Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lounge-5/)
-   -   getting a new phone, need opinions (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lounge-5/getting-new-phone-need-opinions-65711/)

tibby 12-07-2011 09:02 PM

Hands down the Droid Razr. If my contract was up, I'd be getting this phone once the price drops a bit. But right now I have the droid 2 and all I can say is... it's decent... It reboots quite a bit but overall is a decently fast phone.

But the Razr has everything imo. Everything except a decent price tag.

Do you root?

pettyfog 12-07-2011 09:16 PM

Something to think about before you pick...

The Carrier IQ scandal: Enough is enough | Data Center - InfoWorld

Of course.. if you dont CARE the phone is logging everything you do...

tibby 12-08-2011 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by pettyfog (Post 480344)

Petty, your probably not going to agree with me on this one like other stuff as well. But I really could care less about what they know. How many other companies do something similar to this? A lot. For one, Facebook knows all about you when you first sign up. You can google somebody and there facebook profile comes up. Google is another one. Search results aren't random. They track information about you and your habits in order to get more "personalized" results. Heck, I know a website to where if you told me your first and last name, I could tell you your address, show you a google maps photo of your house, tell you how old you are, and also the other people currently living in your household. Creepy right? I've learned if somebody wants to find you or your information they will regardless of what you do. No need to hide, just deal with it.

swartlkk 12-08-2011 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by tibby (Post 480340)
Hands down the Droid Razr. If my contract was up, I'd be getting this phone once the price drops a bit. But right now I have the droid 2 and all I can say is... it's decent... It reboots quite a bit but overall is a decently fast phone.

But the Razr has everything imo. Everything except a decent price tag.

Do you root?

One of the most glaring problems with the Razr for me would be the non-removable battery. I have gotten used to carrying around a 2nd battery when I'm away just in case I can't get to a plug for a day or two. I tend to drain the battery down to nothing though, only plugging in when it's really low. If I were to charge whenever possible, I wouldn't need to have another battery.

Originally Posted by pettyfog (Post 480344)

Meh. Verizon has made the statement that they have not included CIQ in their phones, any of them. But Eckhart does claim to have proof to the contrary. Apple seems to be on the fence as to what extent CIQ played in its previous & current iOS software... It'll all come out sooner or later, but currently Carrier IQ is stating that it doesn't do what Eckhart is saying that it does.

mdehoogh 12-08-2011 09:41 AM

I agree with you tibby...

I've accepted the fact that everything I do online is accessible by my ISP and it's been that way for years and years. Since _insert carrier here_ is your mobile ISP, of course they can access what you're doing online. They've been able to pinpoint locations for E911 for a long time now and all of a sudden when this CIQ stuff comes out, everybody goes nuts.

Crowdsourced usage information is necessary for carriers to adapt and improve their infrastructures. It's no different that DOT cameras and sensors on the roadways. They're not tracking you, specifically. They're tracking traffic (or cell usage) patterns in order to find choke points and address issues that customers complain about.

rriddle3 12-08-2011 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk (Post 480421)
One of the most glaring problems with the Razr for me would be the non-removable battery. I have gotten used to carrying around a 2nd battery when I'm away just in case I can't get to a plug for a day or two. I tend to drain the battery down to nothing though, only plugging in when it's really low. If I were to charge whenever possible, I wouldn't need to have another battery.

Meh. Verizon has made the statement that they have not included CIQ in their phones, any of them. But Eckhart does claim to have proof to the contrary. Apple seems to be on the fence as to what extent CIQ played in its previous & current iOS software... It'll all come out sooner or later, but currently Carrier IQ is stating that it doesn't do what Eckhart is saying that it does.

You can download 'Carrier IQ Detector' from the Android Marketplace, run it to see if that nasty little thing is on your phone, then uninstall the detector. I did it for my 'Droid with Verizon and it came back negative. I believe it.
There is also a rumor that Motorola will be releasing an update to the 'DroidRazr with a larger battery, but will be slightly thicker to make room for it.

litterbug 12-08-2011 11:47 AM

i could care less if the company tracks me. and i have no idea what root means when you ask me if i root much. sooooo not a big hacker kind of guy. im just looking to get rid of my garbage windows phone.

TheRandom1 12-08-2011 11:49 AM

"root" means to gain administrator rights to your phone so you can install apps not from the market, change locked settings, etc, stuff above and beyond what a "normal user" can do. It's how some of us run custom ROMs and stuff.

litterbug 12-08-2011 11:52 AM

i have a friend who is big with that stuff. he has the i phone 4 and i know he used to hack his old i phone all the time. hes big into that stuff and im sure if i need to do that to the xperia he could help me. lol. i know they have emulators that i can download from the android marketplace that will let me play the old school games on the phone and do that without hacking the phone. so thats a plus

Karcinagin 12-08-2011 12:29 PM

I got a droid 3 along with extended battery(a must for me), last just at a day for me, easy 200+ txt a day with 2 30min drives with internet radio more if I have test in classes. Seems a bit bloated but gets the job done, no major problems with it, sometime it will freeze but with advance OS that what it comes with. hdmi out has cloning so no thing like the atrix with just a slide show or video.