The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Help me choose a welder!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help me choose a welder!

So I have been looking into buying a welder ever since I started the restoration of my Chevelle. I would like to have a welder of my own in my garage that I can use for the projects that I have.

My father has a large 220V MIG that is currently setup for 045 to 065 wire with the torch liner and drive rollers. To change over to the 024 wire would be a pain only because we would have to switch back and forth all of the time depending on what we were doing. So larger stuff is no problem with his welder and I like the idea of the portability and flexibility of a 110V welder. Only need a 110V-20A circuit and plug to be able to use the welder!

The welders I am considering include:
Lincoln Power MIG 140C - $670 w/ cart
Miller Millermatic 140 - $680 w/ cart

I was also considering the Hobart Handler 140 - $560 w/ cart...

I'm really leaning towards the Lincoln simply due to the cost of replacement parts and accessories. I also like the ground clamp and wire feeder design of the Lincoln much better than the Miller, but do not have a good feel for the design of the Hobart wire feeder. However, the Hobart doesn't have infinite amperage control like the Miller and Lincoln. Due to the fact that I may be welding up inconsistent sheetmetal thicknesses (due to rust, etc), I really feel I want/need the infinite control.

The Lincoln also comes with more parts in the box, including all of the accessories for flux core welding which the Miller does not come with, but has available.

I still have to buy a welding helmet with either of them...

Thoughts/Opinions???

Old 10-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Help me choose a welder!

I have used welders from both companies, and for some reason, i like the Lincoln better. Just the control is a little better. Plus, they are out of Cleveland Ohio!!

Old 10-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So do you have any buddies that can get me a discount!?

Old 10-30-2007, 11:18 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

i might actually. let me do some checking. I will give ya a shout later tonight!

Old 10-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Very nice! The prices I listed above are from an eBay Store which I have heard good things about in some of the sheetmetal and welding forums I have been wading through. Most of those guys don't use a welder this small though.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:27 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

I like the Millermatic 212, but I know that on is way out of your price range at $1700.
If I wanted a small welder, I'd go with the 140 with Auto-Set. It should be perfect for auto-body. Itscosts slightlymore than the 140 but its much easier to use.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:48 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I used a Lincoln MIG welder back in school, and I loved it...

It's alsothe brand thatthe NAIT campus uses for all its welders...

Old 10-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: EuroGoldLS

I like the Millermatic 212, but I know that on is way out of your price range at $1700.
If I wanted a small welder, I'd go with the 140 with Auto-Set. It should be perfect for auto-body. Itscosts slightlymore than the 140 but its much easier to use.
The difference between the Autoset and the regular 140 is just in the decal in the front from my understanding. Both of them are infinite voltage control and the autoset is only $1 more expensive through the eBay store I was planning on purchasing from. The Autoset model is the one I quoted the price for anyhow.

It isn't that $1700 is out of my price range as money really isn't the factor here and rarely is when it comes to tools for my garage. I want portability. Something that I can plug into a 110V wall outlet and go.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

I've got a millermatic 175 and its very nice. Never used a lincoln, but I don't think you can go wrong with either. Sounds like the lincoln is a better deal.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:10 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

We used millers at tiffany coach works and never had a problem with them at all.

Quick Reply: Help me choose a welder!