The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Help me choose a welder!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 06:28 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Help me choose a welder!

i have have alot of expeiance w/ both. i have had over 700 hours of welding classes not including side job, on the job and current schooling, they both work well and i would say they are equal as far as specs and capabilities, but the miller with outlast by a long shot. i have seen many lincolns give out and very few millers. i would only buy miller if money wasn't an issue. the holbart dont even compare to the other two in my opinion

Old 11-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks blznlow'! I am really starting to lean towards the Miller.

One thing that is complicating this a bit more is the fact that the Lincoln has the spot timer which would come in quite handy for all of the spot welds that I am going to have on my Chevelle!! I don't think that the Miller has anything like that available...

Also, I just read a Guide on eBay specifically dealing with MIG welders...

Old 11-01-2007, 06:09 PM

i dont really know much about the spot timer. i haven't saw it before. i still say the miller. but that timer wouldn't be important to me. but if that timer is really something you need then the lincoln may be your better option. i checked w/ my localwelder dealer and they sell the miller for $658 w/ cart, you might want to check around before you pay that off ebay. maybe you have a local dealer where you live. they didnt carry the lincoln so i couldn't get a price.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I definitely was going to check with the local retailers. I am only using the eBay price for a comparison.

I'm still leaning towards the Miller as the more I read about flux core, the less I think I'm going to be using it. It may come in handy at some point, but I'll never use it on my Chevelle.

Once I get good at welding the spot welds, I won't need the spot timer. I can practice quite a bit before doing it on the car. The spot timer is just a neat gadget.

I just looked on the local suppliers webpages and the Miller is significantly more expensive ($60+) than it was online. That and there was a greater separation ($20+) between the Autoset and the regular 140. I would much rather buy it local if they can match even the online price!

*EDIT* - Blznlow', does your local store happen to have a flyer or website displaying that price? I may be able to use that to get either of the two local places to price match!

Old 11-01-2007, 08:10 PM

i already looked so you could try that. they dont have a website that post prices they just list products but i will go by and see if they will give mesome kind of print out w/ the price and could mail it to you and you can see if it will help.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Cool thanks!

Heck, even if they match the price from WeldingSuppliesfromIOC.com, I'd be fine with that. $20 more than your local shop price isn't worth pushing too hard.

Still waitin' to hear from Pat (hillbillyinohio) on any deals he can strike!

Old 11-01-2007, 08:52 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

I would go with the lincoln, both are really great welders(miller and lincoln) but as far as doing spot welding, tacking and thin to thick metal a lincoln is the way to go. I have been using a lincoln wire feed for 4 yrs, and I have welded frame rails, body mounts, shaved doors, body panel replacementand never have any problems with it at all, also i use it with a mixed gas. [sm=wootwoot.gif]

Old 11-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Sorry Pat, couldn't wait...

So I took the plunge today during lunch. I went to the local welding supply shop talked with the guys there for a good half hour. Their price difference, after besting the online price from the aforementioned website, still ended up being $10 difference between the Lincoln and the Miller. They had a Millermatic 140 out in the warehouse that was a demo unit. I didn't get to try out the Lincoln, but man, that Miller was sweet!! So I made my final decision and purchased everything necessary today.

Out the door was $1145, $668 for the 140 w/autoset & cart, $225 for the helmet (Miller Performance Series), $160 for a 80cuft tank, something like $20 for the C25 mix (75% Argon, 25% CO2), and some extra consumables (anti-spatter, nozzles, tips, and a 2# spool of 0.030 wire) + Taxes.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:16 PM

hey man thats cool. glad you got it. hoe you like it which i know you will. which helmet did you get. i bought the camo elite series. i love it. you will want to get a welding jacket ar some sleeves. and a welding cap if you are going to be in tight spaces.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Administrator

I bought the 'Stars, Stripes, & Eagle Performance Series.

I already have a welding cap and I have a machinist jacket that is flame retardant that I'll use until it's dead, then get a proper welding coat.

Quick Reply: Help me choose a welder!