Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Need laptop help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 05:04 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future
Default Need laptop help!

I have a HP G62-367DX that recently quit on me. Well, it works but just turns on and sits there with a black screen. Upon a little research on HP forums, I found out about the caps lock led blink. So it blinks once, CPU not operational. Okay, so I need a new CPU. I found out how to replace a CPU and I am going to have help from a friend. It has an AMD Turion II Dual Core Mobile Processor model N530 (2.5 GHz, 2MB L2 cache) and my question is since the only place I can find this processor is used on eBay (which I don't really want to do, since the laptop isn't even 2 years old yet), can I replace this processor with an AMD Phenom II Dual Core mobile processor (3.0 GHz)?

Old 08-29-2012, 05:14 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

you can if its the same socket.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:41 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

Both are socket s1 and both have 35w power rating. The only thing that is different is the clock speed.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:03 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

I dont see no problem with that. You might have to reinstall the operating system tho .. But sometimes you dont.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:18 PM

I have a windows 7 disk so no issue there. One question though, I wanted to save money and if it'll cost me less to fix it then buying a new one, I tend to go that route. But would I be better off buying a new laptop seriously? I mean this one is only not even 2 years out of the box. I don't do any gaming hardly, it runs SL and League fine, but mostly I just surf and watch videos and stuff.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:30 PM
BF Guru

Depends Some places charge an arm and a leg for that job. If your doing it yourself then it would be worth it. If thats the problem.

For jobs like that I use to charge for reinstalling windows and an hour of labor work inside the pc

Old 08-29-2012, 06:54 PM

Yeah, I'm going to replace it myself. I got the windows 7 disk from a good friend after she partitioned my hard drive ^^ I'm more of a do it yourself guy lol. Give me a how to video and some tools and off I go :P There is a complete how to video on YouTube on how to take my laptop apart right down to the mb and CPU it takes about 10 minutes experienced and maybe 1/2 hour - 45 minutes for a novice.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:13 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You should be good to just replace the processor if its the same socket, and it is as you said. the motherboard and operating system should recognize it on startup. Like if you were to upgrade ram.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:16 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Its really easy to replace, you just take the panel off the bottom of the laptop, and there should be a heat sink held on by a lock clip, under that is the CPU, which will be held into the socket with another lock clip, then it should pull right out. You will need thermo compound, for when you put the heatsink back onto the new processor. Clean off the old thermo compound from the heatsink with some isopropyl alcohol, and use only a grain of rice size dab of new thermo compound in the center of the new processor, and when you put the heatsink on, the pressure from the lock tab will spread that out evenly.

If you put too much thermo compound the heat transfer between the CPU and the heatsink will not be good, and cause the CPU to over heat.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Starting Member
serrasalmus is on a distinguished road

MAKE SURE MAKE SURE you put some tim on the new cpu use 91% alcohol and a qtip and clean the heatsink and the chip real good or you will burn it up soon after you start it. windows should not have to be reinstalled with just a cpu exchange but it might have to be reactivated but its not a pita at all bout 5 mins on the phone if it wont do it online if u need help feel free to pm me and ill be glad to help you i been building computers since i was a lil tike and wish i was as good with cars as i am computers

edit..... didnt finish reading rich's last post as he already stated about the tim

Quick Reply: Need laptop help!