The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

The rough reality of 40mph..

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The rough reality of 40mph..

My friend, driving home at midnight (don't ask me why), hit a tree at 40mph in his jeep. For those of you who think 40mph "isn't all that fast," here's the pics that show just how much energy is involved in a collision at that speed.

His chest bent the steering wheel

Medics said anyone sitting in the passenger side would probably in serious condition for obvious reasons

He's got some sense of humor this guy does...

Luckily he's fine. He came out with some bruised ribs and a broken nose. Considering the medics were wondering how he walked out of it I'd say he's alright. He's standing about where the front bumper should be. As for the cause of the accident he said his electrical all shut off and he lost control (this was a very windy back country road).
I just wanted to show anyone that's not familiar with the reality of collisions what little it takes to ruin your day.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:12 PM
CNYCountryKidd is on a distinguished road

Good thing he's okay. Trees are harder than vehicles, though. It's been scientifically proven countless times. -thumbs up-

oluk, he has da same tires I do

Old 08-14-2010, 04:24 PM
blazerguy22 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah 40mph is no laughing matter neither is 20 seen pretty bad wrecks at 20 wish i still had the pics of my first car i hit another car going 30 totalled it

Old 08-14-2010, 10:55 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Glad to see your friend is OK and has a good sense of humor.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:31 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

glad to see he was able to walk away with such minor injuries. have you asked him how he feels today? bet he's pretty stiff now.

Originally Posted by CNYCountryKidd
Good thing he's okay. Trees are harder than vehicles, though. It's been scientifically proven countless times. -thumbs up-
oh, don't kid yourself Kidd, cars can feel just as hard. case in point, this is what a 3rd gen Mustang did to my '81 LB @ roughlythe same speed (cop said i was doing between 65-70 kmh).

not trying to jack your thread BBK, just showing that any object can be hard. my right shoulder was black & purple from the middle of my neck to my elbow from holding onto the shifter @ impact.

like those Medic's said, luckly no one was sitting in the truck with him.

Last edited by old skool luvr; 08-18-2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: fixed thumbnail
Old 08-15-2010, 08:39 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Damn... It also shows however that Jeeps may not be the safest thing... the cab crumpled real good.

If you look at Chris' truck the cab is still cab-shaped.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:42 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by oktain
Damn... It also shows however that Jeeps may not be the safest thing... the cab crumpled real good.

If you look at Chris' truck the cab is still cab-shaped.
actually Pat, the cab did get twisted pretty good.

i could fit my hand right through the gap that opened up between the A pillar & the door (on the passenger's side).

i'll see if i have those pic's on my bucket, but i doubt BBK is gonna like us jackin' the thread.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't mind. just trying to show the reality of driving. Post up! Why not? This is a forum, we're sharing our experiences, nothing wrong with that.
And I'm not saying don't ever speed. I'm just saying realize what you're doing. Don't do what my friend did/does and drive like a dumb*ss at midnight on a curvy road.

Edit:Oktain, you're right about the cab. You can't really tell from the pics but the floor is almost up to the bottom of the seat and i'm pretty sure the door impacted. You can see where it literally split in two pieces (yeh, the part that looks like its just shoved past the outside of the cab is only half the door).

Last edited by Blazers.B.Kewl; 08-16-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:03 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by Blazers.B.Kewl
Edit:Oktain, you're right about the cab. You can't really tell from the pics but the floor is almost up to the bottom of the seat and i'm pretty sure the door impacted. You can see where it literally split in two pieces (yeh, the part that looks like its just shoved past the outside of the cab is only half the door).

actually BKB, the floor didn't lift much @ all. but it did twist quite a bit.

i'm loading up some scans of the pic's i have..................

Old 08-18-2010, 10:19 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Nope, Accidents aren't fun. I rear ended Ranger at 45. He was doing maybe 15 when I hit him. Neither one of us were injured, but the impact point was way out to the edge of the vehicles, so the damage looks worse than what the actual accident was.

Quick Reply: The rough reality of 40mph..