The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Seriously debating buying a car

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Starting Member
TheStig is on a distinguished road

not ideal for MPGs tho lol

Old 02-02-2010, 09:59 AM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

definately something wrong.... i get 17-18mpg and i don't drive it like a grandpa either. My friend drives a turbo'd civic and that freakin thing still get 35mpg if he drives it respectfully.

Last edited by hubert hefner; 02-02-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sisk
I HATE Cavaliers/Sunfires. I think they are built like crap and are junk cars.
oh no you didn't!lol. There not that bad. If you end up getting one. Stay away from the 2.4L. Its a quick engine but a bitch to work on. Trust me, nothing but headaches. If your looking for mpg. I would go with a 2.2L OHV or 2200. Really on the slow side, but gets great gas mileage, easy as hell to work on and parts are dirt cheap. I had a 2.2 in my first fire and couldnt believe how cheap and easy it was to maintain. Cant beat $20 for a water pump, $60 alternator or even $18 rotors. Or the fact it got 35 mpg in the city.

And the blazer getting 11mpg is bad. Def need to look into that. I get 16mpg with 200lb wheels on it. Looks like its time for a tune up.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:32 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I was thinking 11mpg is a bit low. I had never actually sat down and tried to figure out my mpgs before. This is definitely the worst it's been though. I found I went through this tank quicker then any before. I'm definitely going to look into it. I guess I'll put the money I would put towards a car into trying to squeeze more mpgs out of the truck. I planned on this being a maintenance year for the truck anyway. Thanks for the info all.

And Luis, if I did get a cavy the 2.2 is the only one I'd want. Those engines are pretty much indestructable from what I've seen. I really do hate cavy's though. They are cheap and ugly and junk, but you can't really complain with $12 rotors and $8 pads lol.

Last edited by Sisk; 02-02-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:40 AM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

Sunfires and Cavys are pretty dependable if you get the 2.2. My wife had one for 7 years and it still ran great when i sold it. If you run across a 2.4L twin cam that needs a water pump offer them atleast $500.00 less than what they are asking, b/c it is a R.P.I.T.A. I changed one they suck. Parts are expensive for the 2.4l also.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

And Luis, if I did get a cavy the 2.2 is the only one I'd want. Those engines are pretty much indestructable from what I've seen. I really do hate cavy's though. They are cheap and ugly and junk, but you can't really complain with $12 rotors and $8 pads lol.
Yea I had 230,000 on my old 2.2. thing was bullet proof. timing chain,water pump and alt were the only things replaced and all cost under $100 for parts.

Originally Posted by hubert hefner
Sunfires and Cavys are pretty dependable if you get the 2.2. My wife had one for 7 years and it still ran great when i sold it. If you run across a 2.4L twin cam that needs a water pump offer them atleast $500.00 less than what they are asking, b/c it is a R.P.I.T.A. I changed one they suck. Parts are expensive for the 2.4l also.
I know what you mean. I replaced the head gasket a few weeks ago and had to strip the motor down to a bare block to replace it. I couldnt believe it.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Starting Member
Dbrown843 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by papacope
I'll trade you trucks Dbrown843. lol
hahahaha ill trade you if you got a 04-05 honda civic ex coupe.
or a cts, mazda rx8.

Dan, I would love to buy your truck. Unforunately I don't think it's in my price range lol

hahaha i will give you a great deal. ill pay for your flight here, and give it to you for 6.5

Old 02-03-2010, 12:06 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABN31B
yeah, but in your day gas was so expensive because not enough of your dinosaur pals had decomposed to goo yet
sorry kid, did you need a glass of warm milk to help you get back to sleepy time?

Chris, $50 a week may not sound bad...but on my salary with only 1 income and being a home owner it's tough, especially in the winter with oil costs. I'm probably just freaking out cause of my latest oil bill lol...trying to find ways to save money.

hey brother, i'm practically in the same boat. not gonna go tossin' #'s around, but lets just say, with 2 kids, a good size mortage, and being laid off work for 7 1/2 months last year (andthis year being just as bad so far)...........if my better half didn't make good money, we'd all be living in the 'Burb right now.

and i hear ya on the home fuel costs, it was the main deciding factor when i was looking @ houses 1 1/2 years ago.

oh, they are. there's a neighbour on my Mother-in-laws street that has a '98 (?) Cavalier, and the GDT sounds more like a diesel, than the 6.2 in my 'Burb does-hell, it's almost as loud as a Power Stroke! (no joke)

Old 02-15-2010, 12:35 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Well an update on the situation...turns out the o2 sensor in my truck is bad, which is the reason for my terrible mileage. I guess I should have checked that out first...lol. It helps to talk the problem out though and get suggestions from other people.
In the end I was over reacting a bit (me!? nooo...go figure lol). I tend to try and find immediate ways to save money when i'm broke without thinking about the long term picture. Anyway, that moment has passed and I really don't see the point in getting a car. It will cost me longer in the long run.
For right now I'm happy with the Blazer. I'm thinking (very BIG maybe) about trading it for a suburban to go full sized (the Blazer is too small for me). I know its the complete opposite for mpg's, but honestly the 5.7 V8 which is in it is rated at 12-16mpg's, so its about the same as the Blazer...I can't see seeing much difference in my gas bills.
Thoughts anyone? I figure someone is going to come along and chew me out for being hypocritical and wanting to go full sized lol...lay it on me. I want honest opinions.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Sturg is on a distinguished road

I had an older suburban... a 94 w/ a 5.7 in it and the damn thing sucked gas like it was its job. haha, i got like 240 on a tank and it cost like 80-90 to fill up. I get 200 miles on 40 bucks in my blazer. but I do miss all the room in my burb, that thing was absolutely gigantic and fit a ton of people in it.

It's just a matter of is the extra space worth the extra amount in gas.

Quick Reply: Seriously debating buying a car