Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lounge-5/)
-   -   So, I need you're opinion. Grandfathers getting "married" or so he thinks. Dementia? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lounge-5/so-i-need-youre-opinion-grandfathers-getting-married-so-he-thinks-dementia-95210/)

chris015 08-26-2017 02:23 PM

So, I need you're opinion. Grandfathers getting "married" or so he thinks. Dementia?

Im one of his grandsons (age 28). My mother just alerted me about this situation. I will try to keep it short and to the point.

My grandfather is 81 (i think? im horrible). He lost his wife of 54 years about 3 years ago. He is a retired preacher of some 20 odd years or so.VERY faithful in his believes. Hes been in rough shape mentally when it comes to his wife since he believes in Gods healing. He is a very smart man, can read insane mathematical questions and be on point with day to day tasks. About a year ago he started talking about remarrying and that he and God has chosen who he wanted to marry. It is a woman from a church band he and his wife has watched for dang i dont know 20 plus years on tv? Well the family just kinda laughed it off a little and rolled along with it thinking it was just a moment. He kinda got irritated and stopped talking about it till now. The other day we started getting invitations to a WEDDING at a church. He has rented a church,rented a white tux and he is expecting this woman to show up to the wedding he has never even talked too nor does she know that he even exists. If we try to correct him he gets upset and hangs up. My mother,her siblings and my aunt is looking deeply into it. My aunt has power of attorney.

How would you go about this situation? Just looking for Peoples opinions.Thanks for reading.

El_Beautor 08-28-2017 05:59 PM

Wow, that's a tough one. Did you check if the chosen lady is on the wedding invite list? Maybe she's interested?

More seriously, I'm not sure I have any helpful advice, because we've been through something similar and it was very messy and difficult. Maybe see if he's open to meeting with a psychologist (preferably one of the same or similar faith as he) to discuss the situation? You definitely don't want to demean his beliefs, regardless of your own. Perhaps a doctor who shares a similar faith system could help provide understanding with the situation.

AJBert 08-28-2017 10:46 PM

Not to be mean, but this is not the best place to be asking advice for your grandpa's situation. You know what they say about opinions but what El Beautor is pretty spot on, get profession help.

Hockey Goon 09-14-2017 08:35 AM

If it has gotten this far without anyone stopping him I can only imagine what else is going on in his life that's going to shock people. More likely than not the "TV Church" already has most of his life's savings.