The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Torque Wrench Calibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 12:04 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough
Default Torque Wrench Calibration

Boy, did I learn a lesson.

When I removed my front wheels to check the wear on the front rotors, I thought to myself "Boy those guys at the tire shop who rotated my tires for me sure over-tightened the lug nuts." But then I realized that I had never checked the calibration of my click-style torque wrench and perhaps it was my wrench that was wrong.

So I weighed a few items to hang from the wrench when clamped in a bench vice and compared the actual torque to the setting on the handle. After getting sidetracked by some bad online advice on how to adjust the calibration of this style of torque wrench, I got it set up. After reassembly, I found that it was spot on at 35 ft-lbs but at a setting of 130 ft-lbs the actual torque was only 100 ft-lbs. At least I was not over tightening things and what I did tighten with it was done consistently. However, with my torque wrench, my lug nuts were only tightened to 80 ft-lbs.

For the time being I made a table so that I can set it correctly although I will be budgeting to get a quality new torque wrench in the future. Any suggestions for a quality torque wrench?

Last edited by christine_208; 08-15-2019 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:53 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christine_208
. Any suggestions for a quality torque wrench?
What's the budget?

You can't get much better than Snap-On, in my opinion. Fortunately, I work for the government, and we get a significant discount.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:23 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tom A
What's the budget?

You can't get much better than Snap-On, in my opinion. Fortunately, I work for the government, and we get a significant discount.
I might consider upwards or a bit above $120. I'm not familiar with the price breaks for the different levels of quality and reliability. But if a $50 one gets the job done then so be it.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:40 AM
Cimmerian is on a distinguished road

Might be heresy, but I always liked gearwrench for cheap but capable tools

Old 08-15-2019, 07:39 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

My Harbor Freight cheap-o works great so far. But it doesn't get enough use to give a fair review.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:58 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

To anybody who tries IMO your wasting time and energy trying to recal, even if you do manage to get it somewhat close it will change quickly as inners are weakened

Proto 1/2'' click - been used to death and still accurate - it was bought when I was in my early teens and oh ya I'm now 61

Last edited by odat; 08-15-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:52 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by odat
To anybody who tries IMO your wasting time and energy trying to recal, even if you do manage to get it somewhat close it will change quickly as inners are weakened

Proto 1/2'' click - been used to death and still accurate - it was bought when I was in my early teens and oh ya I'm now 61
For the torque wrench I have now, the question is if my conversion between the actual torque to the setting on the handle is stable over time. It is something I'll spot check now and then, if for no other reason to satisfy my curiosity. But I'm sure the internal main spring is deformed, hence my question about recommendations for a quality replacement.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Proto wrench.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:04 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Do you turn your torque wrench down to its lowest setting when you're not using it? The spring will last much longer if you do.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:03 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tom A
Do you turn your torque wrench down to its lowest setting when you're not using it? The spring will last much longer if you do.
Always set back to zero and I NEVER EVER lend it out

Old 08-18-2019, 03:06 PM
BF Veteran

I found that there is a torque wrench by Snap-On called CDI that goes for about $145.

Have any of you heard of it? Is it worth it?

1503MFRMH

https://www.snaponindustrialbrands.c...e-wrenches.htm

Quick Reply: Torque Wrench Calibration