Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

what cell phone you rockin?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:40 AM
DoubleSh0t is on a distinguished road

I had the first generation iPhone. I HATED it. And I'm typing on a MacBook Pro right now.

The web browser constantly crashed, there was no MMS, required reboots daily, etc. I've heard they're better, but my experience of them has soured my opinion. Plus I need something with a physical keyboard. I could never write e-mails on that thing.

I moved on to the BlackBerry Curve, then the Bold 9000, and I'm currently rocking the Bold 9700. I despised BlackBerry until I actually used one. They're a little behind in their technology as compared to other phones, but they just work. I have everything in my BlackBerry which is important because I'm a full time student, and I also do consulting so I have all of my clients in there as well. It makes it easy to schedule and keep track of who owes me money.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:22 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

That's what the Blackberry was designed for, exactly what you're using it for. The iPhone, as cool as it is just isn't for me. I'm through with Apple products when my iPod dies. But before I start a debate:

TJ: we do have another carrier for iPhones now, Bell Mobility. The network isn't quite as fast as Roger's but there's a good reason for that. As far as I know Telus doesn't offer support for it, yet.

Okay, so because I feel like going on a Tangent... listen to this:
Canada has a government organization called the CRTC, which controls all the media forms in Canada, radios have to play a certain amount of Canadian Music, what not.

ANYWAY, back when mobile phones were becoming the big thing, Bell was ready to go mobile a year or two before Rogers was because they installed the dishes on their existing microwave towers. The CRTC (back in the Mulroney days, there's a reason why they called him the "Weasel", like the Airbus scandal, but I digress) ruled that Bell couldn't go online because it was "unfair" to Rogers and that they couldn't use their existing microwave towers and they had to build all new towers for the mobile network. BS right? So now Bell has to spend all of this money to build towers and what not, which in turn drove up the Cell phone rates because now they need to pay for these towers.

But the best part? Mulroney's Minister heading up the CRTC is now on the board of directors (if not the CEO can't remember) at Rogers... wtf? Conflict of interest at all? These were also the days when Ted Rogers was funding Mulroney's Campaign.

There's also a policy out there that the company with the Monopoly over the telecommunications business has to have everything approved by the CRTC, and the smaller companies (i.e. Rogers and Telus, who rent out Bell's infrastructure for Long Distance transport and their fiber network) don't need to get anything approved. That's why Bell seems to react to lower plans put out by Rogers and Telus, they're not allowed to come out with these fantastic low price plans unless a smaller company does first.

How do I know this? My father's been working for Bell for the past 30+ years and I've been employed there for the past 3 years as a Summer Student. My dad was there when all of this went down.

It's funny though, in the facility where my father and I work, there's a little corner of floor space Telus is renting from Bell for their equipment, but if something goes down, they have to send someone up from Toronto.

That's the lesson for today lol... sorry about the Essay.

Last edited by oktain; 03-21-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:17 AM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DoubleSh0t
I had the first generation iPhone. I HATED it. And I'm typing on a MacBook Pro right now.

The web browser constantly crashed, there was no MMS, required reboots daily, etc. I've heard they're better, but my experience of them has soured my opinion. Plus I need something with a physical keyboard. I could never write e-mails on that thing.

I moved on to the BlackBerry Curve, then the Bold 9000, and I'm currently rocking the Bold 9700. I despised BlackBerry until I actually used one. They're a little behind in their technology as compared to other phones, but they just work. I have everything in my BlackBerry which is important because I'm a full time student, and I also do consulting so I have all of my clients in there as well. It makes it easy to schedule and keep track of who owes me money.
I too had the first gen and never had any of the problems you mentioned. I also had MMS since I was jailbroken. Lets not also forget that the first gen iPhone turned the cell world upside down for the first time ever. It was truly revolutionary. Just look at all the copy cats. Not for nuthin' but Apple is suing the Droid people for copyright infringements.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:29 AM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Thanks for that lesson oktain! Didn't know that lol

@LuvMyTJ. I'm with Fido and they carry it aswell (being a sister company to Rogers). But even then I'm probably gonna buy one off eBay or craigslist and unlock it and jailbreak it.

My bill isn't outrageous (it is now cuz I have no money lol) but its $60 unlimited data, text and calls. Not to mention the caller ID, voice mail, "who-called", and usually an app a month lol. Do I wish it was cheaper, Of course. But thats about the going rate here for a smartphone. My GF got the BB tour the day it came out (from someone special a.k.a me) and doesn't have data, only calling and text with a small long distance package and pays $80 on telus. And everyone I know on telus sends double texts or you wont get the text for a few days.

I'm happy for now. But my contract ends in November so I will need a new one.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Beginning Member
Nazdreg is an unknown quantity at this point

HTC Touchpro2. Love it

Old 03-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Starting Member
MrJP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jagblazer01
samsung blackjack woooo
I had a blackjack. Traded up to a Samsung Jack. The next step up. Only thing lacking is voice dialing. +

Old 03-21-2010, 09:53 PM
DoubleSh0t is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LuvMyTJ
I too had the first gen and never had any of the problems you mentioned. I also had MMS since I was jailbroken. Lets not also forget that the first gen iPhone turned the cell world upside down for the first time ever. It was truly revolutionary. Just look at all the copy cats. Not for nuthin' but Apple is suing the Droid people for copyright infringements.
No doubt. Maybe I just had a lemon. I think if I needed a "fun" phone, I would definitely grab an iPhone. I don't think anyone can pry my BlackBerry away from my hands though. I can't live without it.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:55 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DoubleSh0t
No doubt. Maybe I just had a lemon. I think if I needed a "fun" phone, I would definitely grab an iPhone. I don't think anyone can pry my BlackBerry away from my hands though. I can't live without it.
Blackberry's are AWESOME!!!!

Old 03-22-2010, 07:09 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I'm very excited to get mine. It's in the mail to me now...should be here Wednesday...at the latest Thursday or Friday.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:40 AM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by oktain
TJ: we do have another carrier for iPhones now, Bell Mobility. The network isn't quite as fast as Roger's but there's a good reason for that. As far as I know Telus doesn't offer support for it, yet.
Telus does have full support for the iPhone... My wife just got hers spoiled brat LOL

In general, all the bells and whistles on the iphone got old real quick for me. That's why I went with something simpler... My voyager is no show stopper, but I can do everything I need to do, and because telus doesn't designate it as a smart phone (i dunno why) I get unlimited browsing and video streaming for $15 a month!! LOLOLOL

Quick Reply: what cell phone you rockin?