Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lounge-5/)
-   -   Is It Worth The Money? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lounge-5/worth-money-99015/)

go chevy 03-04-2019 11:53 AM

Is It Worth The Money?

Hey guys and gals, I am debating on finally switching over from regular old motor oil to either semi synthetic or full synthetic oil... Is it worth the money? If so, what would you all recommend brand wise??? Up to now I have used either Quaker State, Valvoline or Pennzoil 10w30, which ever 1 of the 3 are on sale :)

odat 03-04-2019 12:21 PM

I run standard Valvoline oil in every thing - 10/30 in the toy - 15/40 with a Qt. of Lucas added in the diesels

go chevy 03-04-2019 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by odat (Post 704342)
I run standard Valvoline oil in every thing - 10/30 in the toy - 15/40 with a Qt. of Lucas added in the diesels

I hear ya! I have never used this new stuff in my life. Now though it seems like everybody uses this new age oil :)

odat 03-04-2019 12:47 PM

There is prob a plus in either but I'm old school - I still change my oil at 3000 miles, Cheapest maintence you can do. But I also don't buy just AC Delco parts just for the name

go chevy 03-04-2019 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by odat (Post 704344)
There is prob a plus in either but I'm old school - I still change my oil at 3000 miles, Cheapest maintence you can do. But I also don't buy just AC Delco parts just for the name

So true... "you get what you pay for"..... Usually, lol!!!

odat 03-04-2019 01:13 PM

I guess I should have said I have better luck out of other brands as in BWD Bosch ECT rather than paying out the a$$ for China made parts with the Delco name.

AJBert 03-04-2019 06:42 PM

Rumor has it that if you have a high mileage engine that has only seen dino-oil and you switch to synthetic you will develop a number of leaks. My ZR2 with almost 290,000 miles has only had a steady diet of conventional and I'm not about to switch to synthetic. When the time comes to rebuild/replace the engine, I'll probably go with synthetic.

As a side note, my wife got a brand spankin' new 2019 Subaru Legacy a couple of months ago. The owner's manual states to only use synthetic oil AND change it every 6000 miles.

cleburne red 03-04-2019 06:43 PM

For the Blazer and my daily driver Cobalt, Castrol for both, changed every 3k miles. They both have a ton of miles, and I wanna keep them running. AC Delco filters in each.

My wife's 14 Malibu gets full synthetic Mobil 1, and filter, and changed every 5k.

I know the oil can last longer, but changing it is cheap, and as long as I keep my cars, I figure it's worth it

cleburne red 03-04-2019 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by AJBert (Post 704367)
Rumor has it that if you have a high mileage engine that has only seen dino-oil and you switch to synthetic you will develop a number of leaks. My ZR2 with almost 290,000 miles has only had a steady diet of conventional and I'm not about to switch to synthetic. When the time comes to rebuild/replace the engine, I'll probably go with synthetic.

I've always heard that as well. Don't know how true it is, but that's one reason my high mileage whips will continue to receive conventional oil

DonL 03-04-2019 07:18 PM

I did the swap from conventional to synthetic when I got it, around 190k km. Honestly, I havent noticed any difference in performance, and I havent had any leaks. I noticed that it's easier to start during the winter, and I get an extra 1k-2k per oil change with the bigger fram filters....