Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Would you trust your blazer on a 1,000 mile trip?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 10:15 AM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

I'm hoping to get mine all set for a cross country trip by summer of 2019! Trying to go to Moab Utah from upstate ny...then hit California coast from there.

Before I tore it down to build it, I never did any one trip that far in it, but I was putting between 1000-2000 miles on it per week for quite a few months

Old 02-13-2018, 11:53 AM
Starting Member
Lefet is on a distinguished road

As I haven't had mine that long, or put much into it yet, I still think I would trust it.
I'd also like to know some of the original posters positions today, if they still felt the same way.

Loved the manufacturer break downs!

Old 02-13-2018, 01:19 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Yep. 135k mile motor with no oil leaks nor any burning oil. LIM gaskets replaced. Front end rebuild with new front hubs a few years ago. Transmission rebuilt last year. Cooling system running fine. New coolant hoses 5 years ago. will be installing new water pump in spring as preventative maintenance.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:25 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Took mine for a 900 miles trip with trailer to get some stuff from a remote family member.
No issues.

If it is running I trust it to go everywhere. It it's not...
... well - not! LOL

Old 02-21-2018, 02:25 PM
Logan is on a distinguished road

My 98 ZR2 SFA with 330000km I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country. That thing was a work horse. It was even hydrolocked 3 times and still purred like a kitten. Even a parts blazer I pulled out of a junkyard I drove for a year without issue.
As long as all maintenance is done, and no known major issues are present. You should be good to go.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:39 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough
Default Absolutely

This is in my 89 S15 Jimmy with almost 490,000 on the odometer. It is also my daily driver. You can never predict when a fuel pump might decide to quite. But mine is not that old and is AC Delco.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:33 PM
stevbre1 is on a distinguished road

I don't know if I would trust mine on a 1,000 mile trip yet. I haven't taken it on the highway much since I bought it in October. I'm planning on taking it on some short trips (like CO Springs or Fort Collins) soon, and then work my way up to being able to take it to Montana and the Dakotas in the winter. Those trips are the main reason I bought it.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:13 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Yes....but I'd rather not put the mileage on it.
Especially when I can rent a Charger or Mustang for less than $15/day anymore.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:36 PM
Cimmerian is on a distinguished road

I'm still learning my Blazer and I already have to put a new suspension on it, so no 1000 mile trips for this thing for awhile yet.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:51 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Damn right I would. Done it many times over the last 12+ years. Even now, I'd go out, get in, gas up, and go. Truck has around 270k miles on it, including original trans. Original engine was replaced May 2013 with a crate engine from Chevy Performance. Got just over 10k miles on it now. At 254k miles, it ran 15.88 @ around 86mph pretty consistently. Still haven't been back to compare new to old. Everything else is original except usual maintenance stuff. Starter, alt, compressor, wheel brg ***'y, the usual stuff. Rear end has never been touched except to suck out the old fluid and put in new. Never been opened up.

Edit: I did rebuild the front end when I replaced the engine.

I'd be more worried to drive anything built by Fiat Chrysler(FCA) than I would my own truck. There's a reason they're considered the least reliable vehicles on the road. Out of the 5 vehicles with the most issues per 100 cars, FCA produces 3 of them. I'd be more worried the nav center might go out and now I'm stranded due to it locking down the security system of some ****ty Chrysler before anything on my Blazer left me stranded anywhere for any amount of time. At least I can repair anything on my truck without the need of any special tools to program any modules before it can even start. I'll keep this thing until it burns to the ground before I willfully give up my Blazer.
​​​​​

Last edited by midnightbluS10; 05-22-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Would you trust your blazer on a 1,000 mile trip?