Lowering Tech This section is for suspension questions related to decreasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Belltech 4/5 drop?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 09:27 AM
Beginning Member
Lgarretto is on a distinguished road
Default Belltech 4/5 drop?

Hi all
I bought a 99 base 2wd blazer a couple months ago. Four door. Got it for 1500 bucks with 76k on it. So not bad I think.
Anyway, was looking at lowering it. A 4/5 drop I think would look nice. Belltech has a kit, 628sp, that offers a 4/5 drop and doesn't come with notches. But I have read that this much drop needs notches. I can notch it. I've done some cks before. Just wondering whats neccessary. A 4/5 drop I think would look best. But a 3/4 is fine too. Just figured id get a little bit of input

Old 10-22-2021, 01:05 PM
Starting Member
Torbinator is on a distinguished road

Id do 3/4 unless you get the c notch. 4/5 without the c notch is very rough. You might be able to get away with it if you cut off the whole metal bumpstop but dont count on it. For front it is highly suggest to use beltech spindles then if you want more do drop springs. Zq8 springs for 1.5" drop or beltech 2" or 3" springs. Most people suggest Zq8 springs. They ride fairly well. If you use only spindles (2" drop) you wont need drop shocks since it keeps the same shock distance. However if you use drop springs drop shocks will be needed or you will blow your stocks and have a super bouncy ride. I recommend street performance but nitro 2s will work... Just feel quite cheap. For the rear its all based on personal preference. You can use blocks which just push the axle higher causing the car to sit lower but with the same spring capability (might be a bit rough. Dont go over a 3" block!). You can also take out a leaf or two. Each leaf taken out is 1.5" roughly of drop. Id suggest the 2nd biggest leaf. Or you can use drop leafs. You can get Zq8 leafs which is a 1.5" drop or beltech leafs for a 3" drop. Blocks do not require drop shocks due to keeping same shock distance. Remove a leaf or beltech leafs will require drop shocks due to changed shock distance.

Old 10-22-2021, 01:26 PM
Beginning Member
Lgarretto is on a distinguished road

OK. So if I remove a leaf remove the second biggest leaf? And anything over 4 inches in the rear really needs a notch? OK. Great.
As for blocks vs drop leafs, do drop leafs drop it by having a lower spring rate or by having different geometry? If they have a softer rate then I'd prefer blocks or shackles for the utility capabilities. I don't haul much at all, but I do pull a small trailer and haul small things on the very rare occasion. Two or three times a year maybe. But also I'd like to keep as much handling capability as I can. I'm not racing or anything but I don't want to downgrade. So what's your opinion regarding that as well?

And thank you

Old 10-25-2021, 08:28 AM
Starting Member
Torbinator is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lgarretto
OK. So if I remove a leaf remove the second biggest leaf? And anything over 4 inches in the rear really needs a notch? OK. Great.
As for blocks vs drop leafs, do drop leafs drop it by having a lower spring rate or by having different geometry? If they have a softer rate then I'd prefer blocks or shackles for the utility capabilities. I don't haul much at all, but I do pull a small trailer and haul small things on the very rare occasion. Two or three times a year maybe. But also I'd like to keep as much handling capability as I can. I'm not racing or anything but I don't want to downgrade. So what's your opinion regarding that as well?

And thank you
Drop leafs are shapped a bit more straight so it doesnt have as much arch and I think its 3 leafs instead of 4. Notch depends on vehicle. Som only go 3, others go 4. 5 is a drop that'll need a notch 100%

Blocks are nice for utility but they will ride rough. But it will be nice being able to keep the bilsteins on. Make sure you flip the rear brake line with any major drop!